Any recommendations for a Nikon F/Ai mount to E mount adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by WNG, Jan 20, 2015.

1. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I purchased one off ebay, with tripod mount. It appears to be well-made, with 4 screws instead of 3 attaching the Nikon mount plate to the body.
    I've picked up some MF lenses to try on my a6000.
    Some are recommended legacy lenses, like the Vivitar (Komine) 28mm f/2.8 Close Focusing wide angle, the Series-1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5.
    But I find their results to be unsatisfying. The wide angle is soft at the edges no matter what f/stop, neither could focus to infinity. Before I deem this lenses to be duds, I suspect the adapter could be at fault.

I read this is a common issue with cheap adapters. Sanding down the body was a solution found online. But this adapter has a raised lip to seat the plate. So it can't be sanded down without great effort.

I'm looking for an adapter that you folks have experience with your Nikon mounts that works well and can recommend.

So far, none of my adapters have been 100% satisfactory.
    A Fotga Minolta MC/MD adapter has play at the Sony body interface.
    An unknown Olympus OM adapter with tripod mount is machined with misaligned holes, therefore the tripod mount is to one side, and lens isn't aligned to the body, nor the tripod mount.

I realize it's hit or miss on ebay.
    What do you folks use?

2. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    soft edges on that wide glass, shooting with the a6000? not what you want to hear with a crop sensor, ff is where field curvature is a hassle.

i probably have a dozen cheap adapters, the only time that i've questioned infinity focus was with canon fdn 24/2.8 lenses on one of the cheap adapters... got another one, and it was very slightly better.

they should all let you focus well past infinity, and that's generally what i've seen... "sanding down the body"?? you mean sanding down the body end of the adapter... i've never had to do that.

we are talking about cheap adapters with no glass, right? they don't alter the internal light path of the lenses at all, so they can't affect picture quality... the only possibilities are light leakage, or a very slight tilt, which you'll never see unless you are shooting charts on a wall.

3. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Yes, it came as a surprise when I viewed the results, given the high marks this wide angle/close focus Vivitar gets. And yes, sanding down the adapter body where the chromed brass lens mounting plate sits.
    NOT the a6000! :D
    2nd yes on the type of adapters....hollow extension tubes essentially. But getting the register length wrong will cause focusing issues at infinity. Of course, there is always the chance of bad lens samples causing my results. But most if not all my focus issues have been lenses requiring a Nikon adapter.

My unknown Olympus OM adapter can focus to infinity, and the Fotga Minolta SR (MC/MD) adapter can too. Even though one photo website claimed they don't and to avoid Fotga in favor of Big_Is. (Then I read a post by an end-used that the Big_Is adapter couldn't reach infinity either.)

That's why I want to try another Nikon adapter before making conclusions. Fotga, Big_Is, Prost, are a few 'name-branded' adapters from China that I can discover. Rest are unknowns.

I tried to suggest a sticky thread on adapter reviews. So to avoid buying dozens of adapters to find a good one.
    A lot of nice glass out there to play with, but wasting money on chasing adapters is dampening the fun.

Got some Canon lenses pending and hate to go through this again with Canon FD adapters! If you got Canon on your Sonys, post your adapter here too!

4. Dan Euritt

Jan 11, 2014
    it sounds like you are turning the lens focus ring to it's full stop, then wondering why the picture isn't in focus... that's not the way to do it.

register length for adapters is not like register length for dslrs.

dslrs need register length to be exact, because they have a fixed infinity focus point adjustment on the lens.

but fixed infinity focus point for lenses is an obsolete concept wrt mirrorless adapters, because it's always more accurate to use focus magnification with the evf, than it is to slam the dslr lens infinity focus ring to it's stop, and hope for the best.

is that clear enough? you have to understand what it means to "focus past infinity" with mirrorless cameras, because that is why adapters have short(?) register lengths.

this is what i used for nikon g lenses: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y2YE3A/

5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I do understand register length, and the E-mount adapters are supposed to precisely align each lens mount to be usable with the E mount register length. Being that all the others are longer.
    I am not relying on the lens graduations or end stop to focus. I am using the body's evf and manual focusing aids. I hit the stop at infinity before a distant object(s) comes into 'acceptable' focus.
    And I am not referring to manually focusing any DSLR modern lenses.

This has been evident on nearly all my Nikon Ai mount manual focus lenses, with the exception of one. Because of this, I didn't suspect the adapter. But as I gathered more lenses, they couldn't all be bad.
    There is a minimum focus distance per lens. But now it seems there is a maximum focus distance to the lenses. The most evident was the Komine 28mm close focusing wide angle. It focuses to infinity after 20 feet. I can't get a clear image greater than that distance. (it's poor edge sharpness is not likely related.) It wasn't so obvious before due to the lenses being telephotos and zooms. And I thought it was just operator error for the fuzzy photo.

"but fixed infinity focus point for lenses is an obsolete concept wrt mirrorless adapters, because it's always more accurate to use focus magnification with the evf, than it is to slam the dslr lens infinity focus ring to it's stop, and hope for the best."

I am confused by your above statement. It is still a mechanical alignment of optics per given lens. And that focus point exists whether its an old or new lens. Get the adapter design wrong and you'll never reach it. There is nothing within the camera's system that can compensate for this error.
    This is caused by an adapter being too long by a fraction of a millimeter.
    There should be no difference (of importance) in register length for sensors or film cameras. Must be exact for both.

I'll do a bit of research of that term and how it pertains to this adapter issue, since it's not really clear from your post.
    Perhaps we're discussing apples and oranges due my terminology understanding. Or you misunderstood my problem.

The link to the adapter you use is a prime USA brand. So it shouldn't have such issues.

6. Dan Euritt

Jan 11, 2014
    no, with adapters the register length is shorter(?) than it should be, deliberately.

that allows all lenses to focus past infinity.

hard focus stops on lenses are adjustable, you can do it yourself, but you should never have to do that with these adapters, because they are all slightly short(?), in order to allow you to focus past infinity.

it sounds like you have identified only one adapter that seems to have an infinity focus problem, how about posting a link to to it? lets see if anyone else has tried it.

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will