1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any one using open source Raw Processors and Image Editors in post processing workflow

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Nagenk, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Nagenk

Nagenk TalkEmount Regular

Jan 16, 2013
    Hi All,
    I have recently started using open source tools like RawTherapee and GIMP for my image work flow.
    Though the initial experience was bit frustrating, I am getting used to it.
    RawTherapee gives me wonderful results on low ISO shots but it crashes frequently forcing me to save the processing profile in between to avoid starting all over.
    Gimp although a bit slow as compared to photoshop is pretty good with my normal workflow.
    I use community edition of Imagenomics Noiseware for noise control (The community edition will not allow saving to tiff, only 8 bit is supported)

It will be great if you could also share your experience and workflow using any of the open source tools that you include in your post processing workflow..

2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Raw Therapee needs a 64 bit environment. It is almost useless with 32-windows XP. I run it with 64 bit Ubuntu Linux.

3. PhotoRob

PhotoRob TalkEmount Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Robert
    GIMP; not my primary go to pp software, but great for adjusting perspective (Aperture can't do that).

4. Nagenk

Jan 16, 2013
    Yeah I agree, I use a 32 bit Win 7 and RawTherapee crashes frequently. There new version RawTherapee 4.10 can be released any time now. They have the announcement posted in RawTherapee Blog. But the release date is not yet announced.
    Waiting for it and also planning to run Ubundu on a Virtualbox environment for GIMP and RAWTherapee.
    Have any one of you faced any issues with RawTherapee or GIMP while running under Virtualbox

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I do it other way. I switched to Ubuntu 64 bits with Lubuntu desktop manager and run XP in virtual machine (VMWare). I will probably get a new graphics card for it (I have an interest in parallel computing) and I can use that may be 5 years old machine until it dies.

6. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I liked Raw Therapee a lot; but I never really worked out a workflow, and used Noise Ninja as a stand alone. Lightroom changed all that for me.

GIMP has many useful tools, but once you move a file into it, it get trimmed to 8 bits. Not a problem for a JPEG (already 8 bits), but it destroys the 12-bit (or better) "headroom" that's the main benefit of working in RAW

7. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    I have RawTherapee and Gimp installed on a 32-bit Windows XP without any issues.
    Both softwares are working great and I really would recommend them.

For noise reduction Neat Im,age Free could be worth a look too...
    And for administation Google Picasa is quit good, of FAst Stone Image Viewer if you don't like the Google stuff.

The only complaint about Gimp and RT is that they really need more time to get into them and learn them, they're not really intuative.
    But YouTube is a great help here.

8. PhotoRob

PhotoRob TalkEmount Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Robert
    Absolutely; until GIMP goes from 2.8 to v2.9, you're limited to 8bit...

9. Nagenk

Jan 16, 2013
    yeah I am keeping my fingers crossed for Gimp2.9.
    An year before I tried using GIMP & RawTherapee and discarded them. But now Am sticking to it and am feeling very comfortable with the workflow it offers.
    So what made the difference? Both the software have matured; but more importantly, Am now running a 365 days project, now its at day 158, so I have to use these tools daily and I have made a resolution to stick to these open source tools for the month of March. So the continuous use and practice made the difference.
    Yeah, my current post processing is a bit more time consuming than the one using photoshop/lightroom, but the mind is tuned to wait. It was impatient for the first few days, but I don't feel the slowness now although the slowness is still there with the software.... ;)

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That means that you have to make the layers in the Raw Therapee. That is quite a hassle. There are other benefits working with raw, it is me who decides about exposure compensation, noise handling etc..

Fortunately 16-bit GIMP is here pretty soon. Unstable version is already out and most of needed work is in filters.

11. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I think 16-bit is the plan for 2.10. Great if sooner.

12. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Jep. Probably in the autum or so.

13. Nagenk

Jan 16, 2013
    Raw Therapee 4.0.10 is out

RawTherapee 4.0.10 is out...
    It will be available for download in a couple of days.
    In the release notes they have mentioned new powerful noise reduction as one of the highlight. I am keeping my fingers crossed...
    Here is the announcement
    http://rawtherapee.com/blog/rawtherapee-4.0.10-released

14. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Rawtherapee kills my computer (64 bit).

Gimp is great. The PS CS2 is now free, too. But there are some tools in Gimp (Wavelet Denoise, Wavelet Sharpen are just two) that I just love to use. I was getting some of my best results in Gimp.

However, Lightroom is probably the best software for me right now. Even though I can "massage" an individual photo better in Gimp, nothing beats LR for quick processing of acceptable output from many photos in the shortest time possible.

15. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    50% of my life is spent processing RAW files. If it weren't for LR4 it would be 75%.