any new emount camera coming?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Jun 26, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I was hoping to see if there would be any new camera coming in. To be honest I would like to see some slightly larger body that would allow more buttons and even more customization.

What would you like to see?

Alex

2. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Lenses.

85mm portrait. mid-level 70-300. 35/1.4. Thinking about ASP-C use.

3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I can dream, can't I?

I am now in the waiting mode for a FF, E-mount body with IBIS and the AF and FPS of the A6000.

A bonus would be a 36 MP, stacked (non-Bayer) sensor, that could provide 12MP (4k video) without binning, and the light sensitivity of the A7s.

4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I'll go out on a limb and predict the following easy (from my POV) ones:

• a7000 = a6000's fast-hybrid AF 24MP APS-C sensor in a clone of the A7's body, complete with all the A7's control dials and buttons, at let's say around US$900 body only;
    • A6 = A7's 24MP FF sensor, with its 117 PDAF points, etc., in a clone of the a6000's body with all the a6000's control dials and buttons, at let's say around US$1400 body only;

and, one total "wish" (purely from a validation standpoint ;) )

a3700 = a3000 with new controls mirroring, for the most part, those of the a5000, an upgraded 460K dot LCD (also like the a5000); a micro-HDMI port, an added back control dial (such as that seen on the HX100, HX200 and HX300), and an extra Function/Custom button on top in front of the playback button. Yeah, I know, that's a bit much to expect for an update to an entry-level model that Sony may not wish to bother with. But hey, one can dream....

5. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Seriously though, there hasn't been much on SAR lately in the way of new E-mount body rumors, and I don't think we'll see much for at least another month or so. Not until we get farther into the summer and closer to Photokina in the fall.

6. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Speculation/wishful thinking

Toward answering this question, what do we think we know?

• The A7/r/s system is not intended to meet professional needs. Yes, there are plenty of reasons why a pro might use one or another, but the A-Mount will remain the main professional game. If Sony wants to invade the Canikon space (and it looks like they do), that's where they need to excel.
    • The messages from Sony suggest that they see the upgrade path from the A6000 as the full-frame A7/r/s, not some hoped-for successor to the NEX-7. (The price of the A7 is not far off the original price of the NEX-7.)
    • The recent introduction of the A6000 suggests it won't need a replacement for a while.
    • The tactic of including the A-Mount (or other) adapter with each new A7/r, suggests to me that Sony recognises that the range of FE lenses will remain limited (albeit first rate).

So, if that's how it is, what can we expect?

There may be some improved versions in the sub-A6000 lineup.

Even if Sony sees the FE lens line as limited, there are some obvious holes that need to be filled. They need a super-wide prime or super-wide zoom. A dedicated macro would be a good idea. And, there needs to be a portrait lens at about 85mm.

As for new bodies: With the introduction of the A7s, I think that A7/r/s lineup is settled for a little time.

But, going out on a limb a bit, I think there might be room for a full-frame, rangefinder-styled version. A camera that dedicated NEX-7, X-Pro1, and Leica owners can warm to. The only problem is whether this would cut into the Sony RX1R territory.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Exactly. And with almost €4k investment in APS-C lenses and accessories sitting right beside me I probably should feel bad about this. But hey, I don't care. The NEX-7 still is my dream camera, and by the time it is totally outdated in two to three years, I really hope Sony will have a successor ready. If not, well, then I'll have a problem ...

8. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Since the release of the A6000 & A7s...don't think that Sony is looking to release another body.

What I want is a SEL90M28...f/1.8 even better! :cool:
    A true macro and sharp portrait lens...for under $400.

I would also want an e-mount equivalent to a 70-200mm f/2.8 for crop sensor bodies...for fast action. :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  9. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    I would be OK with a 60/2.5 macro/portrait, though with Sony lens prices, I'm not holding my breath for under $400!

10. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Agreed... I think. I do believe that Sony has become somewhat harder to predict of late. I think that comments coming from Sony execs along with looking at the camera bodies introduced over the past year seem to indicate a focus on the higher end - more profitable - models... like the RX100 Mks II & III, RX1R, RX10, A7/r/s, and, sort of, the A6000.

Agreed.

While I hope you are right, I have the feeling that with the A3000, A5000, and A6000, I think they have completed their APS-C mirror-less lineup for the year. While the NEX-5T is due to be discontinued soon, I'm not sure they will replace it, instead leaving the A5000 on the lower end and A6000 on the upper end to fill the slots in their line-up for rangefinder-style APS-C E-mount bodies. Maybe, maybe they'll introduce a mid-range -5T successor in the form of a mythical "A5500", but I have my doubts. And while I hope for a continuation of the A3000 "experiment" in the form of something like what I mentioned above (okay, probably without any additional control buttons), I am doubtful Sony will put any resources into that... they have barely marketed the A3000 over its lifetime as it is.

Agreed. Though I would not be surprised at all to see a higher end, more pro-featured A9 come out before the end of the year. Maybe a combination of the fast AF of the A7 with the high resolution of the A7r, and maybe a slightly larger body to handle the heat generated by 4K video from such a sensor, with an added "pro" control or two.

And that could be something like the A6 of which I speculated above. I don't think they are worried about any cannibalization of the RX1R though, especially since rumors at SAR seem to indicate that an RX2 (perhaps with this new curved sensor tech that's been in the news recently) may be coming soon.

In fact, realistically speaking, based on hints coming out of SAR and elsewhere, I would go out on a limb and say we are likely to see the following at or before Photokina:
    • An RX2 replacing the RX1R and having the new curved FF sensor tech allowing for a simpler, more compact and greater range fixed lens;
    • An A99MkII upgrading to a 36MP sensor like that of the A7R, plus 4K video and other pro feature enhancements;
    • a few new FE lenses; and
    • "One more thing..." as yet TBD.
    That's my two cents worth. Granted, I could be way, way off. And as a "budget" buyer, I am not likely in the market for any of it. But it's fun to try to "read the tea leaves."

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I would like A3000 with better EVF and LCD and with IBIS. Cheap of course.

12. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    This is a business for Sony, so there's some insight to be had by looking at this from the cost standpoint.

When Sony came out with the NEX-7 it was to break new ground in terms of quality at a particular price-point. When Sony introduced the A7, it was breaking new ground at that same price-point. That's not a coincidence. Sony is chasing enthusiasts with a certain amount of money to spend.

The effect of the introduction of full-frames at the old price-point is that the previous (NEX) area can no longer be the same money spinner that it was. But APS-C meets a need (for compactness, portability and lightness) that isn't replicated by the full-frames. And, of course, it's still an alternative to micro four thirds and pathway from compacts to full-frames.

Sony will not give away the middle-sensor market to Fuji or to Micro Four Thirds. There will always be a super competent Sony camera at the top of that line. But at the top quality level, it's saying why buy a Fuji XT-1 or an Olympus OM-D E-M1 when you can get a full-frame for nearly the same money (and size). That's why I don't think there will be another NEX-7, that will make the top of its APS-C market any more attractive than it already is.

13. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That would be the A65. Or even the A55 (or whatever 5-series A-mount camera is the current one).

14. MikeyIdaho

MikeyIdaho TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 1, 2014
    Love my a6000, just wish there was something like a 100mm 2.8 for macro/portraits...the only native macro lenses available are 30mm and 50mm.

15. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    The only thing I would say about this is that Sony is always going to point you towards a camera they already have released as an upgrade path. That is why they said in some videos that the A6000 is the replacement for the NEX-6 and 7. If they come out and say that the are working on a higher end model, I'm sure there would be many that would have waited and not bought an a6000. So basically their APS-C E flag ship camera is $650. Everyone else has their higher end models at about 1000 or more. There will be a higher end model at some point although I'd imagine the control layout might differ from the NEX-7. My guess would be a dedicated EC dial like the A7 models and probably a similar control layout.

16. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Agreed. If we consider the NEX-7 to be discontinued, there is now a big gap in the list prices of Sony's E-mount cameras between US$650 (body only for a6000) and $1600 (body only for A7). The NEX-7 used to sit in there around $1200, IIRC. And that's a lucrative, profitable price point in the market. So I would not be surprised if Sony chose to fill that "gap" soon. Whether that would be a higher end APS-C model or a lower priced FF, I'm not sure.

EDIT: And the apparent success of the retro-styled Olympus EM-1 and Fuji X-T1 makes me think an APS-C version of the A7's body and controls would do quite well.

Sent from TalkEmount app on iPad

17. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    The A7000 as you described it would be awesome!

And more lenses!

18. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    I'm going to go out on a limb and predict there won't be a step up model to the a6000 for a while. I think Sony was truthful when they said that would be their top of the line APS-C E-mount camera and they expect users to migrate up to full-frame from there. I do think there may be something like an a6000s model. One that shoots 4k video, has a UHS-II card slot, and has more options for audio recording.

...and it still won't have a digital level :)

19. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    i agree wrt the a7, because there are many comparable choices in the full-frame marketplace.

however, not all pros are event shooters... landscape pros use the a7r because the only comparable p.q. on the market is the d800, which is too heavy to carry around.

the a7s has potential for pro use in low-light environments, it stands alone in that market.

i don't like s.a.r., but they are claiming that sony is licensing the oly 5-axis sensor stabilization, which backs up your a-mount pro use theory... no way that system will fit in an a7r body, right?

imho, the bigger problem for sony pro use, tho, isn't a-mount vs. e-mount, it's the marginal flash system that they created.

i like my f60m, but it doesn't have a rotatable head, the hss doesn't work when the head is pointed up, and it has a horrible rep for overheating; sony is apparently ignoring the latter issue.

those things are deal-killers for event shooters, regardless of what platform the flash is mounted to.

20. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I sure hope they don't come out with a APS-C in e mount that is a step above the a6000 for a bit! I still have mine on order (been about a month) and I don't want to wish I would have waited longer. Sony has always seemed to do that to me, and I am afraid that if it happens again I will be walking away from Sony once and for all :(