1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any migrants from m4/3, Fuji or DSLR for that matter?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Sagar Joshi, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Sagar Joshi

Sagar Joshi New to TalkEmount

Sep 4, 2013
    I am among the ones who after trying all DSLRs and m4/3s have finally settled on NEX. Rather just today I received NEX 7 delivery. While I had tried NEX earlier and had liked it very much, only reason I had not switched was lack of decent lenses. But that being getting addressed through 12,32,16-70, 18-105 and rumored 85, 35, I finally decided to switch. Apart from lenses other reasons for moving to NEX are 3:2 ration and APSC sensor which I beleive offer better balance of DR, Noise and DoF compared to m43.

I am just curious if there are other folks who switched from other systems. Would love to here your experiences

2. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    I migrated from m43. I loved the gear, but at that time the DR wasn't good enough - too many blown highlights no matter how I tried to avoid them. I've heard that the more recent offerings are a lot better. I dropped the Canon DSLR when I realised that the NEX-7 suited me better. Size, weight, EVF etc.

Welcome to the forum!

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I came from a Panasonic GH2 and G1 and I bought a NEX-6 mainly because I was curious to see what my legacy glass would do on a bigger sensor. In the end I discovered that I'm really a one system guy and I liked the NEX-6 so much better that I eventually sold off my ยต4/3 gear.

4. Mellow

Mellow TalkEmount Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Florida or Wyoming
    Tom
    I've recently moved to NEX from m43, but still use my m43 gear for most of my shooting. The smaller crop factor gives NEX a huge advantage (to me) for WA legacy lenses, and I absolutely love the form factor of the small NEX-5 cameras. For a full kit I still prefer m43, because there are more, cheaper, smaller, and better lenses, but I love my NEX kit for legacy lenses and for carrying in my pocket with the 20mm pancake. I think the two systems complement each other beautifully.

5. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    I used pentax dslr's until I could'nt take anymore!........back in the film era I had used a comprehensive Canon FD kit and still had many of the lenses in a cupboard. I was constantly annoyed by the poor implementation of the pentax dslr's and the glaring gaps in their lens range, especially since had lenses to use sitting uselessly in a cupboard.......

Most, if not all, dslr makers are used to the idea of making what THEY want to sell and the customer being obliged to buy without much choice. Just on manual focussing alone, NO dslr has an equal implementation to the 'old' film models which universally had split image range finding screens, often with a microprism ring as well!!.....manual focus was more or less instantaneous and usually accurate.

When I first handled the first two NEX models I realised immediately that this was much more like the camera I wanted and expected digital models to be like, so I dropped the 'black plastic blob' and have never looked back.

An unexpected bonus was the general acceptance of the small NEX wherever one goes,...the pentax had always put peoples defenses up no matter how descrete I had been in using it. Now I could shoot images of whatever I wanted wherever I wanted.

There's much criticism of NEX arcane menu, however, I find it much simpler and easier to use than the pentax......once the NEX is set up one can generally forget it and get on with shooting the images. Also VERY useful is the ability to fit just about ANY lens I want to.....this includes the Canon FD kit from the cupboard along with my pentax lenses and also my medium format lenses.

I have never regreted buying the NEX 3 which makes excellent images,....the only thing less good than the pentax is the dreadful battery which only returns a fraction of the superb pentax battery arrangement of 6 'AA' rechargables.

6. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I started with the GF1. What a breath of fresh air that was. But the failure to have a built in EVF was always a problem. I finally went to the G3, and that was okay. But Panasonic didn't seem to have anything on the horizon that equalled the IQ of the NEX line. No one did. Over time I've moved over and now don't use the remaining M4/3 stuff.

I'll be interested in hearing what this new GX7 is like -- but I'm not going back. I expect a review on the Luminous-Landscape site soon. They keep showing pictures from one.

I loved (still love) the Panasonic/Leica 25mm, the Olympus 45mm and the Panasonic 7-14mm. But now I have Sony, Zeiss and Sigma equivalents. And finally, the NEX-7 provides better resolution for my larger prints.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I came over from m43 (I used a Panasonic GX1 and PL25/PL45 combo). In fact I even wrote up a side by side comparison here...

https://www.talkemount.com/f10/tale-two-systems-1223/

I started with a NEX C3 and them moved up to a 5n where I am today. To me it is just about the perfect cameras as I tend to favor using manual focus legacy glass (Minoltas specifically). Having been a NEX shooter now for about a year I can say that I would not go back to m43 (even the E-M5). For me the image quality is better and the NEX suits my particular set of needs better than any m43 camera could. I really like some of the Fuji cameras and I think they offer a bit better color if you shoot JPEG and they look great but it's not enough to make me switch. I don't think they offer enough that is better to warrant the cost.

If and when my 5n finally gives up the ghost I will likely pick up another NEX. I like the NEX 6 quite a lot but would prefer it to have an articulating or flip up LCD. I'm very interested to see what the successor to the NEX 7 is like. If I needed to pick a camera other than the NEX it would probably be the Fuji XM1 or a Sony RX100 II (I'd love an RX1 but it's waaaaay out of my price range).

8. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    m4/3 (Panasonic G2) before the NEX-7. Around 18 months with the NEX-7 now and love it. Only manual focus lenses and nothing under 300mm, but the 7 handles those very well. Focus peaking, I would never go to another camera without it. Over 36,000 shots so far and its a bit of a mess, I'm very hard on cameras and expect them to take a few knocks, but it still fires off shots no problem.

The NEX-7 is one tough little beast.

My only suggestion if you love to keep your cameras in nice looking condition, get a half case for it.

All the best and have fun :)

Danny.

9. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    G1, GH2, GF3, and GX1 here. But the dynamic range of the NEX pushed me over the edge. There's no going back.

10. Mellow

Aug 18, 2013
    Florida or Wyoming
    Tom
    I remember reading many of your posts and enjoying your images on on m43 forums; glad to find you here! I really enjoyed your comparison of the two systems, and agree with a lot of what you wrote. I still prefer some things about m43 (especially with the newest Sony sensors) but there's no denying the appeal of the tiny NEX format and its amazing ability with MF legacy lenses.

11. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I started as a Pentaxian with a K100D and a K20D...then came my NEX-6 and photography fever hit an all time high...and keeps going up! :)

12. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I started out in the film days - mostly 35mm but I did dabble in medium format and even 4x5.

I went digital in 2001 with Canon point & shoots. This lasted thru 2010. I refer to this period as my "P&S coma". ;)

I finally get "serious" again with a DSLR (Canon T2i) in 2010. Definite quantum leap in IQ but I never quite felt like I was at home.

I was yearning to shoot with prime lenses again. I took a hard look at full-frame DSLRs and discovered the NEX in the process. With the NEX-7 being less than half the cost of the available full-frames, and able to adapt my old Nikkor lenses and work with them perhaps better than a contemporary Nikon body would, it was an easy decision.

Of course if you're like me, you can't just get one or two lenses to fill in the gaps, then call it good. Ironically, I seldom even use any of the old Nikkors that seemed so crucial last summer.

13. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I think each system has something to recommend them. Since I shoot primarily manual focus legacy glass the terrific lens selection and fast AF of the m43 gear just isn't all that important to me. I also find that I prefer the way older legacy lenses work with APS-C sensors a bit more. I will say however that the new Sony made sensors that are in the new Olympus cameras (and I would assume Panasonic) are pretty nice.

14. Mellow

Aug 18, 2013
    Florida or Wyoming
    Tom
    Completely agree--especially the older WA and normal lenses. The 2X crop factor just takes the fun out of it for me with m43. I've got a focal reducer on order and am really looking forward to a "pseudo-FF" experience with my NEX-5N.

I'll look forward to seeing more of your photos!

15. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I was shooting Canon DSLRs for over 7 years. Nex gives me better DR, portability and opens up the whole world of manual lenses, many of which are excellent and relatively cheap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2