1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any known, reliable member wanting to witch a mint 7 for a like new 6 ??

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nianys, Dec 26, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Any known, reliable member wanting to switch a mint 7 for a like new 6 ??

OK this may be sheer folly, but if I don't try it, I'll never know.
    As many of you know, I've been the -globally- happy owner of a NEX 6 since early November (bought brand new in a Paris brick and mortar store, with full European warranty).
    I'll makeit short but let's say despite all the 6's excellent improvement and novelties over my previous 5N, I love the camera but am not "in love" with it. It's very capable and gives me great results, I'm just not totally bonding with it.
    I can't shake the naging feeling I might have liked the 7 better (don't ask me why, this is mostly fantasy matter I fear).

Here's my question : I don't even know how much those two compare in terms of cost right now, but if a user here had a NEX 7 in perfect shape, with box and accessories available, and preferably some remaining warranty, I'd be game to make an even trade. For convenient reasons it'd be easier if said user were in the UK or Europe.

Any input, opinion, thought, advice, welcome.

2. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Often, if I want to try something new/expensive (relatively speaking) I get from Amazon so I can return it if it doesn't suit. I know this isn't an answer but might help you decide between the two! I really enjoyed a lot about the 7 and my second copy had much better output and peaking. :)

3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Around here the 7 is about 350euro more expensive (I don't know how prices are in the rest of Europe)

I've been watching prices on the 6 and 7 on ebay.co.uk and they sell like crazy!!! (most coming from Asia sellers)

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I do buy from Amazon when I'm unsure, but I wouldn't want to purchase something that expensive and return it. I know it's a huge company with formidable means, but I still try to be a good customer and not abuse the return policy.

5. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I understand that it can seem like an abuse of policy but it's otherwise difficult to get the right product sometimes and they do achieve a sale often times. I tend to buy from their warehouse deals section, so products are already considered used. It's not the ideal way but an option :)

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Do you mean that there was a large difference between your two NEX-7 samples? Could you elaborate a bit more on that please? Tnx!

7. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    In the UK you can also buy refurbs and demo stock from Wex, Jessops etc and NEx 7's crop up on there quite frequently. As they are effectively already 'used' it can be a good way to try a camera out without feeling guilty about returning a new one? Might be more of a hassle to return one from France though. I think our distance selling regulations give you 7 days to return without giving a reason but you have to pay the return costs if it's just because you 'changed your mind' rather than a seller fault (item not as described etc).

8. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin

I saw this coming :eek:

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    From what I gather, you prefer as much AF speed as possible on those infrequent occasions when you do use AF - the 6 should have at least a slight edge there. (I know that doesn't help with the primal bonding process, but it is something for the other side of the brain to consider. ;))

If you can be a bit patient, the 7 is due for an update, any day now while the 6 is not. Once there are closeout deals on the 7, that could put you in a much better position for trading up.

I know you are also particular about "handling joy" and IMHO the 7 is all about that. (Oops - was I supposed to be talking you out of this?)

10. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Jefenator has a good point, once the NEX7 successor ships you'll see a jump in the number available used and prices SHOULD drop.

11. woolhats

woolhats New to TalkEmount

Nov 9, 2012
    I dont get it..(and now i am trying to be polite)..You are complaining about the focus speed on nex6 and now you want to trade it against nex7??????????????

12. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I understand your surprise. But in my experience (coming from a 5N to a 6), I don't find the AF performance improved in a truly significant way. Yes, it is faster in daylight by a reasonable margin, but indoors, where I do 90% of my captures, I see zilch change, nada zero.

So, slow AF for slow AF, I think maybe the TriNavi controls and extra resolution might be a plus, after all.
    Does it make any sense ?

13. dixeyk

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I can see the appeal of the TriNavi controls. I have read however that the 5n (and by extension the 6) have slightly better control of noise at high ISO. Do you think that would be a problem? If it's not a big difference I should think you'd like the additional control/flexibility.

14. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012

I found with my first NEX 7 that the peaking wasn't particularly sensitive and it was difficult to achieve critical focus. I struggled for a few weeks before calling the company to see if they could offer a repair. At first I thought the 24MP just meant that it would be more difficult to achieve wide open. They offered instant refund, even outside the return period. The 2nd 7 peaked perfectly, not as obvious as the 5n or f3, but certainly well enough that most shots were well focussed. But, the EVF didn't work and there was a strange lag between every shot. Bear in mind that I consistently buy used, ex demo, at a good Price. And, from the same company. I bought a 5n and an a57 that are fab, practically new, but yet to find that perfect 7. I think as store ex demo's they took a beating being the flag ship model.

If possible Claire, I will try another 7. Failing that the 5n and F3 really offer similar IQ for me, at the expense of control. The 7 really is the sexy cool of the NEX family.

15. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Kevin, I read a few very interesting opinions regarding the ISO performance and ID of the various NEX chips. Some say that the 5N is superior to even the 5R and 6, which have not quite the same sensor, and that the gap is smaller between 6 and 7. To my naked eye the 5N and 6 offer similar performance. I would shoot the 7 at mid size anyway, and I don't often use high ISO, as I prefer flash anyway...
    I posted on the French dedited Sony board (yes, there is such a thing) and a user is interested, who lives and works close to me, so you might collect my impressions soon ;)

16. woolhats

woolhats New to TalkEmount

Nov 9, 2012
    There is always gonna be a better camera tomorrow..and the day after...
    As long as we try to find the best camera we will always miss the real goal..to take pictures!

17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I fully agree with you, but trust me, I do take an awful lot of pictures (about 1K/month). I'm not looking for the "best" camera, there is no such thing. I'm just experimenting with different models and try to narrow it down to checking the right boxes *for me*.
    Don't get me wrong, the 6 is a very, very good camera, probably even a great one, considered by many like the best NEX yet. I just have a hunch that maybe the control system on the 7 might be a tad more satisfying for me. And yes, I believe Sony is making the NEX system mature fast and well, and I'll be watching the future iterations very closely :)

18. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    wow now I Nyanis surprised me, you want a nex7? clear, certainly love my nex7, was thinking about changing to nex6 few months ago, but I had not decided yet, anyway I was using the 6 in the Sony store, so don't fascinated me more than 7, the tri-navy killed me... it's so easy to focus or change aperture or speed, finally decided to stay with my nex7.

I hope you can get one soon, I wish you luck.

19. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I appreciate the tactile quality of the 7 - feels more like one of the cameras of old than a newer plastic gadget. I also like the tri-nav quite a bit - was out today with an e-mount in full manual and found it to be perfectly friendly. None of that nonsense of having to take my eye away from the finder and hold a button down (like I have to do with my Canon DSLR) just to change aperture. I will be very curious to hear your impression.

20. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I have both, and feel your pain. From a practical point of view, I shouldn't KEEP both, but wouldn't be happy until I could use them side-by-side. I have no issue saying the AF on the 7 is better. It is more sure, with less hunting. If the saucers landed in my front yard and I wanted to be sure to get the shot, I'd grab the 7 in an instant over the 6.

...but I'm trying like hell to figure out some way to make a few extra bucks to keep both. A sickness I tell you... a sickness.