1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any interest in a 70-200mm f/2.8 for NEX?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by JJJPhoto, Sep 13, 2011.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    One of the go-to lenses for many portrait and event photographers is a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom lens. The only down side is that these lenses are usually huge (sort of antithetical to the NEX concept).

Would any of my fellow NEX owners want a native E-mount 70-200mm f/2.8 lens or would you skip it because of the size/bulk of the lens on the NEX cameras?

2. ItsaChris

ItsaChris New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2011
    a 50-135mm f2.8 would make more sense (like the tokina), but i would skip it no question.
    But I will be skipping every large lens that comes to the system and am not looking for anything longer than a short telephoto. at most I would want 4 lens (3 primes covering ultra wide / normal / short telephoto and a zoom like the new panny X)

:eek:

3. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I also like my primes. But if there was a 50-135mm at f2.8 (approx equiv to 70-200mm in full format), I'd give it a lot of thought. I wouldn't want it to be any longer than that.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have a 70-150mm that I just love, but occasionally want just a bit more.

The biggest issue with leaving this on is not the long side, but the short side. 70mm makes up close and personal shots a bit tricky.

5. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Both Sigma 50-150 and Tokina 50-135 are excellent, exceptionally sharp lenses. I'd buy one for NEX in a heartbeat if the price was similar to the DSLR versions.

6. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Depends on size, but I think it would be too big and they would have to improve the AF of the Nex a lot as well. If I wanted a fast telephoto zoom I would look towards a dslr where the size makes more sense or towards m43 where their (upcoming) version is likely to be relatively small and light?

But then the only ones I have seen in use (by friends on Canon/Nikon dslrs) are the Canon L lens (which is massive and expensive) and the Sigma version (which is a lot cheaper but still large obviously). If I had a dslr I would at some stage probably like to have the Sigma or the Tamron mention above, but on a Nex I am not so sure. I think the controls, weight and grip of the dslr are a better match for a big lens like that and more balanced.

7. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    You absolutely have a point, I wouldn't mind the bulk, but that type of lens ONLY makes sense with reliable, fast AF. Which NEX does NOT have at this point (and I'm not holding my breath for the 6's either)...

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    disagree and agree

I would have to disagree. Plenty of people on this site and the DP forums have had great success with 200+mm lenses. I myself have had several great shots with my 70-150mm.

That being said, I would agree that the ideal range for the NEX's is in the 75-100mm range. It does take an increasingly steady hand to get long range shots without in-lens stabilization.

9. Yohan

Yohan TalkEmount Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Yohan
    70-200mm or 50-135 would be appealing. Judging by the size of 18-200mm, however, I wonder if there will be handling issues with a 70-200 f2.8 if it's too large for a NEX body.

What I would REALLY like to see is a fast portrait prime around 85mm-105mm FL. M43 has the 75mm f1.8, Samsung has 85mm f1.4 which are both earning some high praises.

10. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I think that when you go to something like a 70-200mm f 2.8 you are defeating the purpose of the NEX camera as there is no way to build an f 2.8 lens in this focal length that wont be heavy. The physics of 200mm f 2.8 dictate glass that has a much larger diameter then the current 18-200mm f6.3. This larger diameter glass would make the camera extremely front heavy and hard to steady. Once you get into this type of weight and size you might as well use a DSLR.

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Without trying it you will never know. As I stated a few posts up I have a 70-150mm that works great. Others have used lenses of this range quite nicely with several nice pictures to go with it.

For example:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3291420

It does take an increasingly steady hand, but very possible to take nice shots. Here are a few of mine with the above mentioned 70-150mm.

DSC06755.JPG

DSC06201.JPG

12. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    Until Sony can at least have 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8, two of the bedrock lenses in the DSLR community, and a full size sensor NEX system, the mirrorless will not replace the majority of SLRs.

13. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    replacement

To be honest I don't see the NEX as a replacement, but an additional tool. While I like being able to shoot far away, this is not the strength of the system.

14. bkxmnr

bkxmnr New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2012
    This is probably the closest I will get - my wife's old Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/3.5.

DSC01854. DSC01855. IMG_5206.

15. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    I'm not sure why I was quoted here because I never said that the NEX could not be used with a 70-200 f 2.8. Actually I tried my Canon 70-200 f 2.8 on the NEX with a Metabones adapter and it worked pretty well but not as well as it does on my DSLR. That being said, I think that if Sony were to develop such a lens it would be lighter then my Canon lens but still heavy. and the camera lens combo would not balance well. We all had our reasons for getting a NEX camera, mine was to have a travel and around town system that would not weigh allot. No camera will do everything well and for me big heavy lenses on a NEX defeat my reason for getting the camera.