1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any hands on experience with the NEX-7 mic for video ??

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Feb 21, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Getting ready to attempt a wildlife video during the upcoming Turkey season in April.
    Have tested lenses for the field of view & depth of field that I want to have at 25 yards.
    Looks like 85mm will get it done so I'll use my Canon 80-200/4.0L on the NEX-7.

What I don't know yet is the range and sensitivity of the built-in NEX-7 mic to be able to pick up any turkey drumming / clucks / gobbles at that distance. I hear talk about plugging in an external mic.

Any first hand experience / recommendations on built-in vs. external mics on the NEX-7 would be appreciated.
    Right now, this is what I'm planning to use.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you actually want to use the sound, forget the NEX-7s built in mic. It's basically just there so you can sync up the video with externally recorded sound. Go for a Rhode Videomic if you want something relatively cheap, small and quality wise okay microphone. Can be mounted on the hotshoe (you might need a cold shoe adapter, but they cost not much at all) and plug in right into the AUX port of the 7. There's also a smaller, cheaper version which is entirely powered by the port and doesn't need batteries, but I don't really know about the quality of that one.

3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Appreciate the reply...and to be sure I'm getting this, as it's my first time:

1) When you say "AUX port", you mean the external microphone jack behind the door on the left side of the NEX-7, correct?

2) When mounting the Ext. Mic. in the hotshoe...that's just to physically hold it, right.....it still has to have a cable that plugs into the AUX port...doesn't operate through any hotshoe circuits, correct?

3) And Sony's handbook states that a plug-in-power type Ext. Mic. gets its power from the camera...so I'm wondering if it would it matter if the Ext. Mic. also had batteries in it:

A) Possible power conflict that could affect overall operation...if not some sort of actual damage?
    B) Or would the presence of batteries in the Ext. Mic. override the power from the camera?

4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    1. Yep.

2. Yep, correct. For the newer hot shoe, there are options to use either Bluetooth mics or to add an XLR adapter, but with a NEX-7 you're limited to the AUX port (which is not necessarily a disadvantage as the XLR adapter costs €800 ...).

3. B is correct. The thing is that the AUX port HAS power, but it doesn't put out nearly enough power for most microphones. In fact, the only microphones that could live from that power are some kind of lev mics or the Rhode one which was specifically designed for not needing batteries. Most microphones need more power, so they need their own power packs.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sounds good...I appreciate the info

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Sticker shock...didn't know what to expect...even on Amazon, Rode Videomic Pro is $229 (USD)

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Oh, didn't notice that one went up in price that much. In this case, buy the one without the "pro". Audio quality is very close and it's just €90. Only downside - it's a bit bigger than the "pro".

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, I'm not a "videographer"...LOL...and have no plans to go whole hog into videos all of a sudden so I don't want to spend a lot of "new money" just for a possible one time event on the horizon at the moment. I just had this project in mind for this spring...don't even "have to have audio"...just trying to start getting get up to speed in general.
    From recommendations like yours and some research I've also done tonight, the Rode Videomic Pro does sound like a quality unit so I'd rather hold off a bit and lean towards getting it or something like it than jumping on a lesser unit.

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I just looked at the Rode Videomic Pro on their website, watched a demo, and have another question.
    I only see one cable...and its the powder cable that plugs into the power plug socket on the NEX-7.

Are the audio signals superimposed on and flow through the same power cable into the camera?
    Or is there another cable I overlooked?
    Or is the audio stored in the Videomic Pro itself then unloaded later as part of some post-processing?

Thanks

10. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The one cable is the AUX cable. I think it runs off one or two AAA batteries (about 70+ hours audio with one set of batteries, if I remember correctly). So the audio is right in the video file.

11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good, just the one cable and its synch'd with the video.
    Thanks for your help...

12. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks again for the help.
    Sold off a couple things I no longer used, and have a shotgun mic on the way.
    Settled on this from Amazon: Rode Videomic Pro with VMP Deadcat Wind Muff, runs 70hrs on a 9 volt battery.

13. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Hot Shot Adapter arrived and mounts on the NEX-7 fine.
    The Rode VideoMIC Pro mounts on the Hot Shoe Adapter fine.
    Ran a few video tests here inside the house with people just talking and the MIC seems to work fine.
    Next step is to try a few test videos outside to determine the best outdoors settings, and see how it does.

14. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    Would this also be a good choice for sound on a NEX6?

This is strictly for video of family events, with no pretense of professional level video. The first usage would be for recording a performance by a youth symphony orchestra.

- Tom -

15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Tom, I'd answer that in a heartbeat if I knew, but I am absolutely not an authority on this subject at all.
    I will say from all my digging, research and recommendations for casual video audio, this was very highly recommended.
    But when you add in things like recording a symphony orchestra, I don't have a clue.

16. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    There's a microphone type for each use case. There are microphones for outdoor interviews (lev mics or highly directional shotgun mics), there are open, eight-capsule mics for indoor orchestras, there are bi-directional stereo mics for casual video and so on. The Rhode is highly recommended amongst beginners because it can be used in many cases (it's directional, but not that highly directional that it's useless for not-directly-directional audio) and delivers a solid audio quality. And yes, it is compatible with the NEX-6 (if it got a mic jack, but I think it does).

If somebody knows a better alternative at that price point, I'd be thankful too, but I personally don't know any atm.

17. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    For clarity, this particular video is not intended as anything remotely approaching professional quality. The youth symphony in which my older granddaughter is first violin will be coming to town for a music festival and will be giving two performances. The video is intended only for family memories, so it's going to be a casual thing, but I do not want it to be something that makes the family cringe to watch if I can improve the quality with a reasonable effort.

Of course we may have other family occasions in the future where I shoot some video, so a microphone that is suitable for a variety of subjects is attractive.

- Tom -

18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Then I'll offer this personal opinion if it was me: I'd get the same Rode VideoMIC Pro in a heart beat...and it has an incredible 10 year warranty.
    If you probably won't be shooting much outdoors in windy conditions, then just get the MIC itself, not the package with the "dead cat wind muff" and save $40. Worst case is if you decide in the future you want a wind muff, you can just get it as the accessory that it is.

19. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    After looking into this a bit, it appears that this discussion is a moot point for me and my NEX6.

As far as I can see, the NEX6 has no connector for an external microphone, and I have to use a mike that connects to the camera through the Multi-Interface Shoe. I looks like this means that I will need to use a Sony unit, as I have not found a third-party mike that supports the Multi-Interface Shoe interface. My apologies to all for not noticing that the NEX6 has no connector for an external microphone before I asked for recommendations.

Looking around, I found that Amazon currently has the Sony ECM-XYST1M at $90 instead of the list price of $159, and it has some decent reviews, so I'll be taking that approach.

- Tom -

20. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Good that you found a workable solution...good luck