1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any Godox Cells II users

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by xXx1, Oct 23, 2014.

1. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    These Godox flash triggers seems really promising. I have used Allacax units for a couple of years but the transmitter uses a V23 battery and their availability is poor. Cells II is quite big but these use AA batteries and that is really nice as flashes use same batteries so no more separate spare batteries. Range is very good too. Transceiver design is nice too, if transmitter runs out of juice separate transmitters and receivers are useless. Price isn't very high, 4 units for 90 Euro (RF-602 transmitter and 3 receivers is about 40 Euro but the transmitter uses a uncommon battery and construction isn't great [neither from Yongnuo or Wansen]).

It would be really attractive solution if Godox will make a Sony version of V860 but really useful with one V850 and 2 cheap manual flashes too.

2. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
    Isn't Cells II for Canon only? and you also need FT-16 transmitter to manually change remote flash level.

Cells II is used to pick up & transmit the early fire signal to provide HSS function. Currently there is no Nikon nor Sony Cells II versions.

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    No, Cells II is a manual flash flash trigger that supports Canon HSS and FT-16, It should be possible to use a pair of Cells II as a flash trigger with a Sony without HSS & FT-16.

4. mcvu

mcvu TalkEmount Regular

Sep 24, 2014
    Bay Area, CA
    Minh
  5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I am not happy with RF-602 transmitters as they aren't mechanically very good and use rare battery. YN-560 TX is cheap and much more robust looking and uses AA batteries so it is pretty good choice for me as I am satisfied with RF-602 receivers and already have them. I think that I will order one YN.560 III too. I will lose the lithium battery of V850 but I can construct one for YN-560 if I need it (two AA lithium cells and a dummy battery and another dummy battery with voltage regulator inside).

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I forgot to say that I think that RF-603 needs modification if you want to use it with Sony bodies. Btw. I ordered YN-560 III + TX, was 109 USD at Ebay.

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Got the YN-560 II and YN-560-TX today, seems to be quite nice combo. I got one YN-603C II and it works without modification in Nex-7 (but needs hot shoe adapter). The first model of YN-603 did need a modification but the new model has got switch for transmitter receiver selection. Quality seems to better than previously and Yongnuo has added locking pins to its flash feet. YN-603 II uses AAA batteries. YN-560 III isn't compatible with lithium batteries but SLA may work quite well and isn't very expensive:

http://blog.davidburren.com/2003/03/flash-power-pack.html

Now I am waiting Youngnuo to put out a bare bulb flash ... .