1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any experience with the Dolica AX620B100 Tripod or the Tamrac Zipshot?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Preckie, May 17, 2013.

1. Preckie

Preckie TalkEmount Rookie

May 17, 2013
    Philippines
    Hi, I've been searching for a very cheap tripod that I can use for traveling. Since I have back pains, carrying heavy things for too long will exacerbate the problem. Looking through Amazon's vast offerings, I found the Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head. It looks good, with lots of features I may use when going hiking, group shots on diving trips, etc. However, I'm concerned with the weight... is 2.5 lbs heavy for a tripod? Link here for around 40USD.

Should I just get a Tamrac Zipshot at around 320g (or 0.5lbs)? Link here for around 49USD.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I have the Dolica and it works very well. I use my Acratech ballhead instead of the one supplied because I like it better. I don't find it particularly heavy, especially compared to my 7+ pound Giottos CF tripod. ;)

I'd shy away from the Zipshot personally. I can't imagine that it's very stable. But I could be wrong. ;)

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    For the tripod: I had one pretty similar to the one you linked for about two years, and actually liked it. But during this time, I realized not everything was perfect. The quick release plate wobbles a bit - at least on a NEX-5 body, the legs don't spread that flexible and the locks for the legs are a pain in the ass - especially at cold temperatures, but also if you use them more often.

I now have a Sirui T-005X (which is built of Aluminum, but the T-025X is similar and built of Carbon fibre, if you'd like) and it's a world class difference. The head is awesome, the quick release plates are Arca Swiss compatible, the locks are very easy to turn all at the same time but hold very secure and you can get down to the ground when turning over the legs. It's totally awesome! Oh, and you have 8 or so years warranty.

4. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    I agree on the Siriui. I have their smallest carbon fiber model and it works with the NEX. The one linked to seems awfully flimsy. The siriui easily fits in carryon liggage and is well built

5. Preckie

Preckie TalkEmount Rookie

May 17, 2013
    Philippines
    I was looking around a local photo accessory shop this afternoon and found this on display.. LINK here.

It's the Sirui T005. I honestly found it heavy, but I guess most tripods weigh as much.

Thanks so much for the input guys! At least I ruled out the Zipshot. I may go for the Dolica since I'll mostly be practicing portraits at home (no wind, no quick set-up needed) and traveling around 4-6x/year only (hardly worth the extra 100USD).

I'll be going to Hong Kong in 2 months, so I'm wishing they have a cheeap Sirui there, plus ultra cheap flash heads!

6. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I have this one from Manfrotto: Manfrotto tripod

This is my 1st tripod so I don't have a point of reference...but its light enough. I lugged it around strapped to my bag, walking for a few miles in chicago and denver. Plus the swivel head makes it really easy to adjust the camera position. There is a rubber wheel that you loosen with your thumb, adjust the camera with the handle, then lock it back by rolling the rubber wheel the other way with your thumb. So you can make position adjustments with one hand, vs 2 with most tri pods.

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I had exactly the same (well, with the ball head), and exchanged it for the Sirui T-005X after two years. Wow, what a difference! I can really recommend everyone spending the little bit of additional money - you'll get a whole other level of quality.

8. LightCentric

LightCentric TalkEmount Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    Saginaw, MI
    Andy Richards
    I agree. The Sirui is much better than the manfrotto. The tripod industry is really on of those places where (with the possible exceptin of Gitzo) you get what you pay for. As for weight, the carbon fiber Sirui is noticeaby lighternthan the aluminum model.