1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any difference between Leica M and R Summicron?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by dshin525, Sep 30, 2013.

1. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I'm getting rid of many lenses that don't get much use (http://www.ebay.com/sch/dshin525/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1 in case anyone is interested) and will use the proceeds towards a 50mm Summicron. It seems like M goes for much more than R? Is one better suited for the Nex 6 than the other?

I wanted to go with M b/c I already have the Hawks adapter...but based on the price difference, a R + metabones adapter will still be much less then then M.

Also are their quality R-Nex helicoid adapters (like hawks factory) readily available? I really like the improved MFD that the helicoid adapters allows.

Thanks.

2. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    M lenses are rangefinder lenses, R lenses are SLR lenses. If I have my Leica history right that is. I know that some rangefinder lenses dont play nice with some NEX cameras. There is some optical differences in the two lens lines but not much. Summicrons are some of the best lenses you can get in the world always consistently at the top (usually right behind a Zeiss lens if behind anything at all). There is much mystique and history there for sure. Whether they will take better photos for you or not is another story entirely. :)

I just dont feel they deserve the prices attached to them. Like all 'boutique' items they are more about the way they make you feel then anything else. Personally I would rather take a great photo with a crappy lens then a crappy photo with a great lens. Better sense of accomplishment.

Having said that, and if you can afford it, I say go for it. But you could save a little money (compared to the R) or a lot (compared to the M) and buy a C/Y mount Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 and take just as good of a photograph as with the Summicron.

The good thing is that it will hold its value. It you want to sell it down the road you will have no problem moving it on. But this is true of the Zeiss as well. And I must say you are letting some very nice lenses go to acquire this one lens. :)

3. dshin525

Jan 4, 2013
    Thanks for the explanation....I admit I am drawn to a Leica b/c of the "brand". Did a quick search for the Zeiss Planar and they seem to get similarly priced vs a R Summicron (at Keh.com EX copies can had for around $500).

4. dshin525

Jan 4, 2013
    So....I took the plunge and bought a R-Summicron, along with a LR-Nex adapter. Should arrive in a few days. This is the one that I ended up buying:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251353781753?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

After days of searching ebay and sites that sell used lenses, it seemed like $425 was a good price...and the one i got comes with hood and PL filter, and pics seem to indicate that it's in great shape.

Can't wait to get it and shoot some pics! feel like a kid on Christmas Eve!!

5. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Lovely lens at a nice price. Cant wait to see some photos from it. :)

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    As you have probably noticed, the R-series is much less compact and less expensive. I have no idea how they differ optically, though I would assume they would since they are physically rather different.

I think a 50mm 'cron of some sort would make a great companion to Sony's new full-frame bodies!

7. dshin525

Jan 4, 2013
    Yeah...initially I thought I was gonna go with a M since I already have a LM-Nex adapter. But the price difference was substantial. And when I tried to find comparison info, nothing I found was conclusive in that one was better than the other.