Any 10mm wides out there?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by bmg123, Dec 24, 2013.

1. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Hi all,
    I'm currently looking for a super wide lens to complete my lens lineup; I've seen the SEL1018f4 but I couldn't help but be disappointed by the f/4 aperture on it. Are there any other decent lenses for the E-mount range (or even ones that can be adapted) that are around 10mm? I may just have to settle for the SEL16f28.

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Probably not. Mostly for primes 12mm is pretty much the lower limit. Which you'll get with the SEL16F28 + UWA adapter (and still be at f/2.8).

The Sigma 10-20/3.5 is bigger and not much faster, same for the Tokina 11-16/2.8 (faster, but still fairly large/heavy).

The Sigma 8-16/4.5-5.6 is very wide (and relatively distortion free for what it is), but it's huge, doesn't take filters and is even slower than the SEL1018.

Depending on what you shoot and how you frame it one of the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 8mm/2.8 fisheye lenses may work for you. They're relatively small, fairly fast, and not that expensive. Someone had one in the Marketplace here for a really good price a couple of days ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Building a 10mm f/2.8 lens would be extremely hard to do, and therefor expensive. Even the Zeiss Touit 12mm f/2.8 is not a perfect lens, and it's neither especially small nor cheap, so don't expect to get anything at 10mm/2.8 with usable quality for a reasonable price and at a reasonable size.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MrT-Man

MrT-Man New to TalkEmount

Oct 16, 2013
    Your best option would be the Touit 12mm f/2.8, which is a really great lens. It's considerably more expensive than the 16mm+UWA, but the improvement in image quality is very noticeable (I own both the 12mm & 16mm+UWA).
  5. radimere

radimere TalkEmount Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    What are you planning to do with it, if I may ask? Video? Landscapes?

If it's video, the SEL1018 OSS offers ~3 stops of image stabilization. So as far as handholdability is concerned, it's practically an ~ƒ/1.4 lens. And it works as advertised, too: for stills at least, the SEL50 (OSS) is easier to shoot handheld than the SEL24 (no OSS), despite the former being a short telephoto on APS-C.

Landscapes? You usually shoot those at ƒ/8 and smaller, anyway.
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    A few more steps up is the 19mm 2.8 Sigma.