1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Another Vivitar on the way

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TonyTurley, Jun 24, 2013.

1. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I have been pleased with the little collection of Vivitar lenses I've accumulated, so I have now scored a Vivitar 100-200mm f/4 Close Focusing Auto Zoom with a Vivitar 100-200mm 2X Matched Multiplier for the princely sum of $20. The photos looked like it was in nearly pristine condition. I considered a Vivitar 200/3.5 that was about $40, but the close focusing capability of the 100-200 swayed me, even though the prime was a bit faster. I was not so pleased with most of the Supermoon shots I got last night with the ratty old Hanimex 80-200 I have (good thing I thought to bring a spare lens). More play time this weekend. :)

Tony

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Hope it is everything you want.

3. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Sounds like an excellent catch. The prices on legacy lenses seem a lot better over in the US. For us from the EU that's not viable, because with shipping, VAT and import duties, prices end up about the same as in Europe. Only delivery takes longer...

In this day and age, you would have thought it possible to import old used goods for private use without any duties, but no.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Some of those old Vivitar lenses were the cream of the crop in their day. Some were crap, but some were really outstanding. The trick is knowing which is which. And no, I don't. :frown:

5. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    I have been fortunate so far. I watch for opportunities to pick them up at the lowest price possible, and all of the ones I've found have been in good shape, with decent optics. I have picked up a couple of lenses that were in near mint condition for $30 or less, when farther up the page of eBay listings other people were listing the same model lens for $100+.

Tony

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Just remember when shopping lenses, you don't have to have one. I have let several go that I really wanted, but the price got out of control.

7. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    Good advice. By the same token, don't be afraid to bid on rare lenses or ones that you really want. I actually let slip a Minolta MD 16mm f/2.8 in apparent mint condition because I was dithering. I haven't seen one at reasonable price levels since.

8. TonyTurley

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    The Pentax user's forum and Mflenses both have decent 3rd-party lens databases. They're useful for at least getting a sense for a len's approximate value , as well as user opinions. As for eBay, I definitely won't overbid for a lens; if I can't get it at a price I find palatable, I move on.

Tony