Another this-one vs this-one vs this-one

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Visspui, May 6, 2013.

1. Visspui

Visspui New to TalkEmount

May 6, 2013
    Hello,
    I know it's been covered in many different threads; f3 vs c3, 5n vs 6, etc etc.

To start off, I know absolutely nothing about taking pictures. I can appreciate them though, I go through this site and admire pictures that people have posted.
    I'm in the market for a camera, and was pointed to a NEX a while ago. I was told to get a 5r by a camera-guy friend, but I'm hesitant to spend that much money when it's very possible that I'll end up being terrible. The 5n is more in the range that I was looking for, but I don't want to kick myself down the road for not spending the extra for the 5r. I do not care about Wi-Fi or apps though.

Please advise! I'm open to all suggestions

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    It's going to be hard to find a new 5n around. The 5r is the replacement. If you have a chance to find a new old stock f3, I would go for that.

If you need, or want a viewfinder just go for the 6

By the time you buy a 5n or 5r plus an evf your right around the same cost.

3. Visspui

May 6, 2013
    Probably do without the viewfinder. Used 5n at Henry's for 399, and a used 5r for 499

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome Visspui, to both the forum and maybe to the NEX. :)

Since you are new to photography you might consider picking up a used body to start. the nyou can either sell it or keep it as a back-up body when you make your final decision.

5. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    If you know nothing about photography, anything with interchangeable lenses is a bad place to start. (I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but whatever). Most interchangeable lens cameras (this includes DSLRs) come with absolute garbage kit lenses. They're slow (as far as aperture range goes), and their zoom ranges are nothing spectacular either, to say nothing of actual optical performance. I always tell people that the only reason to buy an interchangeable lens camera is to use lenses OTHER THAN THE KIT LENS.

If I were you, I'd look at a higher-end enthusiast point and shoot. Something that'll give you full manual control and high quality pictures. Some of them have insanely fast lenses (the Panasonic Lumix DMC LX7 has an f1.4-2.3 lens...incredible! The Canon G15 has an f1.8-2.8 zoom lens)...NOTHING in the mirrorless or DSLR world can touch performance like that.

Get yourself a compact that's easy to figure out and will let you grow from a newbie to an enthusiast...once you figure out what you want in a camera *THEN* you're ready to move up to an interchangeable lens system, when *YOU* will know what you want and need.

6. Visspui

May 6, 2013
    No flaming, I appreciate your opinion. If I were to buy just the body, then a lens separately, A- would this change your opinion at all, B- what would be a starting lens to work with

7. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    That is something *YOU* have to find out for yourself. You have to find your own shooting style, your own interests, your own strengths, etc. For example, I love to shoot wide. Extremely wide. I shoot so wide that lots of people don't even own lenses that go as wide as where 95% of my shots live. On the other hand...my telephoto lens is literally halfway across the globe sitting in a box because when I had it with me for 2 years I took it out once. I've owned macro lenses and sold them...zero interest. Some of my friends eat, breathe and live macro.

While other shooters would sooner go without food for a week than give up their telephoto lenses and don't own any real ultrawide lenses. Same with primes...people generally recommend the 50mm range...it works for some people, but I've found that my 135mm prime is where I'm happy...others find that focal length annoying, constricting, too long, you name it...

My point is that only YOU know what works for you and what interests you. Only you know what you like shooting and what you like shooting has a direct influence on what tool to use.

This is why a high quality jack-of-all-trades compact would come in handy. Shoot that for 6 months and look back at your pictures. Are you using it wide open at a specific focal length a lot? Well, then you would probably be happy with a prime of that focal length. Are you shooting landscapes or birds in flight? Are you doing low light photography in clubs or middle of the day shots of beaches? After 6 months, think about what your camera does that you love and what it doesn't do that you're wishing it did.

I'm a huge camera nerd, and I get really scientific when it comes time to buy gear...I'll look back at thousands of photos and narrow it down...when I was replacing my ultrawide angle, I had a choice between an f2.8 and an f4 lens...I looked at my shots and realized that a good 20-25% of my shots were done between f2.8 and f4...this meant that, yes, I would miss the fast aperture.

Anyways...the point is, get yourself a starter camera and find out what you like, what you don't like, what your demands are when it comes to gear and THEN invest in a system, and tailor it to your needs.

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    You could find a nex3c o nex5n on eBay for a good price, used , if You feel is the right camera, I mean, to started is the best wei, cheap but excelent if You want to jump in MF, but the desition is your hands mate , welcome

9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    If you want to go with an interchangeable lens system, I strongly recommend Nex F3 with kit lens (under $300 used) for starters. I initially disliked the 18-55 kit but I think now it's actually pretty good - as long as you don't try to use it in really dim light. Once you spend enough time with it and know what it is exactly you like to shoot you can start getting the lenses that work for you.

Although as a complete beginner you're probably better off with a high end P&S.

10. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Hey...it's my old pal Amamba from POTN...good to see you on here too! :)

11. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Hi :) I'm also on DPR under same nick.

12. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    I refuse to sign up on DPR due to their forum layout!!! Plus, I'm trying to limit my forum times to the specific equipment I own haha...one forum for Canon and one for Sony's enough for me! :D

13. Selten

Selten TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    As someone who went for the 5n instead of the 5r due to not wanting apps/etc, I would say the 5n is a nice little camera. It can be a bit tricky sometimes, ui wise, but I love it.

Not really pro myself, so I would agree with Lowrider -I took pictures with my phone for 3 years before I finnaly made the step to get a NEX (and never looked back). So the idea of trying yourself out on a simpler camera is a good one. On the other hand, I have found myself being much more motivated to go out and take pictures since I have my Nex, so a simple point&shoot might be a bit demotivating/depressing.

Do you have a friend whose camera you could loan for a few weeks, see where it gets you?

But in general, I think, some people have started out small and have grown to make awsome pictures with practice. So if your first fotos are not what you expect, share them anyway - criticism / suggestions can help you learn to be better down the road.

14. Visspui

May 6, 2013
    I appreciate your reply's. I may have misrepresented myself earlier - I take pictures on my phone all of the time, I also have a $150ish Fuji point and shoot camera. I said I know nothing about photography because I have never needed to think about aperture/ISO etc. I can point at something and shoot, I don't think that means I'm by any means a decent photographer.
    Anyways, I pulled the trigger and got a used 5r........Love it.
    I love being in manual, adjusting each setting and seeing the differences they make
    And to the last post, I would love to put pictures on and have people critique - there's nothing to do here but learn for me. I'm going to Algonquin Park (Ontario) this coming weekend, I'll throw some pictures up and have you people tell me what I could be doing better (if you feel so inclined)

15. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Wicked...enjoy your new camera, looking forward to the pics. :)

16. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Congratulations for your new purchase, I likewise I have the nex5R with EVF and I am very happy.

I updated the 5N for a couple months ago and don't regret, although I'm not a fan of the apps and wifi,but like the dynamic range and some improvements but if you compared with 5N, the screen, which is not better .

17. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Just a quick question...what's the point of getting the 5R with the EVF instead of the 6?

I'm guessing the 6 would work out to be cheaper and then you don't have to worry about carrying a separate piece of equipment...plus, I really like the placement of the EVF on the 6!

18. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    For me it's the fact that the external EVF is articulated that seals the deal.

19. LowriderS10

Mar 23, 2013
    Makes sense! Didn't even think about that...thanks. :)

20. Selten

Selten TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    Congrats! Enjoy your new camera and I wish you lots of fun with it ! Looking forward to seeing your pics :cool: