• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Another new lens - Tamron 70-300mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III RXD

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
A full-frame e-mount telephoto lens for just $550 USD. You can pre-order at the usual sites.

Tamron has been producing some very nice lenses as of late. I have seen some concerns image quality on this lens just based on MTF charts. We will see how it does in the real world, but that is one heck of a price.

I am trying to justify adding a telephoto lens to my collection. This just made rationalization that much easier, lol.

Edit: Bah, almost forgot the link!

https://tamron.com/news/press_release/20200925.html

Tipton

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Rae Leggett
Competition and options are always good. Maybe it will eventually push Sony into releasing a generic e mount teleconverter.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Well, I like its size and weight. But no stabilization on a 300mm lens? Sure, the camera’s IBIS will provide some. But if I have to bring along a tripod in order to assure a sharp image, the size and weight advantage kind of goes out the window for me.

In contrast, I‘ve been able hand-hold the Sigma 100-400 at 400mm down to 1/30 sec. and get a sharp image because of its built-in stabilization working in conjunction with the A7RII’s IBIS. Yes, it’s much bigger and heavier. But life’s full of trade offs, and I’ll take that one.

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Yup, I like competition, too. Generally good for us all in the long run.

I wonder about that, too, David. The Tamron also has no on-lens buttons whereas I understand the Sigma has a limiter, lock, and programmable AF button. And the extra 100mm on the Sigma long end, so I am still leaning in that direction. The Sony 100-400 looks great, too, but the price all but eliminates it from consideration.

I am in no hurry though, so I will see how things look when Tamron reviews start coming out. It is likely to appeal to many for the low price, if nothing else.

Clix Pix

TalkEmount Veteran
8 miles from the Tysons (Virginia) Apple Store
I am probably what some folks would deem a "lens snob," but I really prefer to buy and use native lenses rather than third-party ones. I love my Sony 100-400mm and, yes, it is expensive, as is the 1.4x teleconverter I also bought for it later, but oh, boy, I have been just really, really happy with the results I have gotten from this lens and anticipate getting in the future.....

Last edited:

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I actually have zero Sony lenses right now. But I am an exception to most Sony shooters I think - only one AF lens and I have a mostly Voigtlander kit at this time. I have some adapted glass but am not using it much these days.

Sony does put out some great optics, but you definitely pay a premium for it. I do think there are some cases where 3rd-party glass outperforms Sony, or gives a different kind of rendering, or Sony does not choose to serve a given market segment. Examples could include Zeiss (non-Sony Loxia and Batis), Voigtlander, Sigma and others. As I posted earlier, third party lens makers have a distinct advantage on e-mount versus other mounts, as these lenses are essentially "native" in function and have fully supported access to electronic interfaces.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
The decision may be based on the size and weight of the lens that you want to carry AND if you are shooting Full-Frame or APSC (or like me both). I owned the 100-400mm Canon L Mark-2 lens when I shot Canon. However, my use of that lens was limited because I did not like carrying the weight and size of the Canon glass.

I shoot with a Sony A7iii and a Sony A6600 and opted to purchase the Sony 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 lens because of its small form factor and OSS capability. It is 50mm shorter than the 100-400mm but has a 30mm advantage on the short end. The fact that it is only for APSC doesn't bother me since I ALWAYS used my 100-400mm Canon on my 7D Mark-2 APSC body.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
Well, I like its size and weight. But no stabilization on a 300mm lens? Sure, the camera’s IBIS will provide some. But if I have to bring along a tripod in order to assure a sharp image, the size and weight advantage kind of goes out the window for me.

In contrast, I‘ve been able hand-hold the Sigma 100-400 at 400mm down to 1/30 sec. and get a sharp image because of its built-in stabilization working in conjunction with the A7RII’s IBIS. Yes, it’s much bigger and heavier. But life’s full of trade offs, and I’ll take that one.

Traditionally, the practical limit of useful IBIS has been considered to be 500mm. This new Tamron 70-300 might be okay on an A7 series body.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
While I really like these Tamron lenses, I also get this feeling that Tamron holds back a little due to Sony's influence and minority ownership. With the Tamron EF and F mount lenses, they never hold back.

Biro

TalkEmount Veteran
While I really like these Tamron lenses, I also get this feeling that Tamron holds back a little due to Sony's influence and minority ownership. With the Tamron EF and F mount lenses, they never hold back.

I'm not so sure it's a matter of Tamron holding back as much as it is a difference in design briefs. Tamron emphasizes smaller size, lighter weight and lower price. And the compromises they make, at least for me, are quite acceptable. Perhaps that's because, after decades in photography, I'm at a place where I don't want big, heavy uber lenses anymore. But, again, that's just me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom