Another lens for New York: length or girth?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Hypocaffeinic, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Hypocaffeinic

Hypocaffeinic TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2013
    Qld, Australia
    I'm finally off to NYC this week and am enormously looking forward to giving my new NEX-7 a workout whilst there. I currently have the Zeiss 24mm and the 16-50, and expect to do lots of walkaround shooting with the former, but would like suggestions of what other lens might be useful to me? I'm thinking e-mount lenses for convenience at this stage.

The Tokina 116 with my D7000 has given me an enormous love for wide angle lenses and I'm pondering the 10-18 or the Touit 12mm, but already have two wideish lenses and have nothing long. I mostly want to do street photography but would also like to shoot architecture and I suppose other general photography that might benefit from a longer lens; then again I don't have an ultrawide either.

I've been considering getting the Samrokibowyangernon 8mm f/2.8 fisheye and the 55-210 OSS zoom from B&H when I get there; however my other option is to put the money towards a 10-18mm or a Touit 12mm (if I feel rich enough on the day). Which sounds the better option?

I'm part of a group doing at least two different things on each day, so because it's not like I live there and can go out on a specific camera mission everyday I have that awful n00b urge to take ALL of my lenses just in case I find myself at some wondrous scene that I don't have the right tools for! :eek:

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I personally would take the Touit 12mm (or Sony 10-18), the 24mm Sonnar and either the Sony 50mm or 55-210mm. If you don't want to buy two lenses, probably the most useful lens would be the 55-210 for you. 16mm is plenty wide for most scenes, and if not, just do a panorama. There is awesome free software to stitch it afterwards if you like.

3. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I usually use the sel18-55mm that I always carry in my bag just in case need AF but usually use the 28mm, (Vivtar and zuiko) and 50mm (Rokkor,industar y yashinon) respectively for Street Photography but I have the 55-210mm but to be honest I do not use here in the city, haa and the sel 16mm for WA

4. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk

I've been quite impressed with the 55-210 e mount since I got it last week, in fact it's the lens I have mostly had on the camera since, IMHO pound for pound it is unbeatable