Another from my surreal series

Discussion in 'Portrait' started by Vincepad, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Vincepad

Vincepad TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2013
    I shot this in my basement in November, but just finally got around to doing the composite today. The model and branches were shot with my a7, but the background was shot with a Canon (I know! Blasphemer! But I shot it more than a year and a half ago before I made the switch).

I called this one "Slow Cheetah."

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Neat work

3. Pitter

Pitter TalkEmount Veteran

Interesting technique. So you are superimposing the model with branches on another photographic image? What programs are involved (i.e. Photoshop)?

4. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    That's exactly what I do. This photo used only two originals - I have used up to 10, though 4-6 is most typical. The light shaft was generated entirely in Photoshop.

The pictures started in Lightroom with some basic tweaks to get lighting close to each other, then into Photoshop. I used Topaz ReMask to cut the model out of the background, and then lots of adjustment layers to fine tune light and color. The shaft was done using the Render Clouds filter and layer blending modes. Once I was done with the composite, it's back to Lightroom for some final tweaks (especially the vignette. Too many of the ways that I know to vignette in Photoshop create artifacts in the foggy skies that I like to use).

EDIT: I also added some noise to hide a couple of artifacts that I found unavoidable. Someone with better Photoshop technique probably could have avoided them altogether, but I think the noise fit with the overall feeling of this picture.

Here are the two original files as they came straight out of the camera (converted to jpg, but with no changes).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Vincepad

Dec 29, 2013
    I don't often complete two pieces of personal work from this series in two days, but I did, so there you go. I shot this one in December but finally got around to editing today. I called it "She's Dying from the Likes of Abandonment."

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1