• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Andrews Air Show 2015

Hawkman

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Well, I made it out to the Joint Base Andrews Airshow today... oops... yesterday, after all. Got there late - traffic was backed up and lines for the buses in were packed. But got some good shots of an F-22 demonstration and the Thunderbirds.

And the A6000 performed like a trooper, almost as if the Continuous AF and Hi Speed drive mode were made for air shows. It was a blessing and a curse, but only a curse in that at 11 fps it chews through an SD card pretty quick - I shot over 1700 frames!

And I did learn a few things the hard way after getting home and reviewing the shots. First, for jet fighters, better to shoot at 1/1000 than 1/500 or even 1/800. Second, I should have set the minimum ISO to 200 instead of 100 in order to force the camera to stop the lens down a little more and open up the depth of field a bit to get more in focus. And finally, maybe I should have shot more RAW+JPEG rather than just JPEG.

Anyhow, here are some of what I consider the better shots of the day:

20933083374_5982c24079_h.jpg
   ---            
DSC00415
by SRHawk64, on Flickr
Heritage Flight: WWII-era P-51 Mustang and present-day F-22 Raptor.

21529781386_31452c7f88_h.jpg
   ---            
DSC00460
by SRHawk64, on Flickr
Heritage Flight flyby

21369644638_1007081685_h.jpg
   ---            
DSC00194
by SRHawk64, on Flickr
A Raptor bares its "teeth."

21566511031_847615acdc_h.jpg
   ---            
DSC00557
by SRHawk64, on Flickr
Kicking in the afterburner!

BTW, those are all straight-out-of-the-camera JPEGs. No PP at all.

Hawkman

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Thanks all! I suppose I may have been too hard on myself and the shots... expecting perfection in sharpness. One thing is for sure though, I know that there is no way I could have expected to get as many decent shots from my older a3000.

It was a challenge shooting amidst the rather large crowd for this show and remembering to watch the settings and exposure and all. And while the a6000 distinguished itself in its rapid-fire high-speed continuous shooting mode and did admirably in keeping up with the super-fast moving subjects, there were times when the bright sun made the LCD screen nearly useless. Thank goodness for the excellent viewfinder! And while I like the top control dial, the back one actually caused a couple problems, changing the shutter speed when I accidentally bumped it while shooting. All stuff I'll get used to or adjust in custom settings. And I know that I shouldn't second guess things, but I also wonder if perhaps my 55-210 is just soft under these types of circumstances.

I'll go back to my shots later and if there are any others worth sharing, I'll do so. And I might also share some of the "oops" ones as well, just to get your thoughts.

Thanks.

Hawkman

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
Very nice! I love the underbelly shot of the F-22.
Thanks! Ya know, I didn't even realize it was doing that - opening its weapons bays - when I was shooting. But, lo and behold, I got the whole opening sequence captured and was amazed to see it when I went through the endless shots at home. +1 for photography.

Latest threads

Top Bottom