• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

"Andrew & Marina": my first Portrait shots

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Following the advice of a fellow member here (thanks nianys ;)), I decided to "photograph things that matter to me/love".

So here are some of my first portait attempts in photographing my 20-month old "naugtly" son Andrew and my beautiful niece Marina.

Note: all shot with 18-55mm kit lens. Mostly jpegs so no PP.
CC always welcomed ;)

DSC04767.jpg
NEX-5    ---    34mm    f/4.5    1/40s    ISO 800

DSC04788.jpg
NEX-5    ---    50mm    f/5.0    1/60s    ISO 1600

DSC04789.jpg
NEX-5    ---    50mm    f/5.0    1/60s    ISO 1600

DSC04790.jpg
NEX-5    ---    20mm    f/5.6    1/60s    ISO 1600

My favoutite 3 shots:
First time I've noticed how photogenic my niece is...
DSC04791.jpg
NEX-5    ---    48mm    f/5.6    1/60s    ISO 1600

DSC04796.jpg
NEX-5    ---    49mm    f/5.0    1/60s    ISO 1600

DSC04797.jpg

Using in-camera toy effect (but messed up with lighting)
DSC04795.jpg
NEX-5    ---    49mm    f/5.0    1/80s    ISO 500

Also tried some B&Ws but those didn't come so good as they initially looked in the Nex-5's LCD...
DSC04775.jpg
NEX-5    ---    30mm    f/4.0    1/30s    ISO 1600

DSC04777.jpg
NEX-5    ---    30mm    f/4.0    1/50s    ISO 1250

DSC04779.jpg
NEX-5    ---    25mm    f/4.0    1/40s    ISO 1000

DSC04793.jpg

I'm somehow confused about the NEX-5 in-camera B&W effect - when in this mode can't you adjust apperture, shutter speed, ISO, WB and other parameters?

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Bravo !
4,5,6,9,10 and 12 are the best. 5 & 12 fav's.
One thing I would avoid, is to center your subjects. Look at all the shots with the kids dead in center : they're the least good of the set. You really should try a simple rule of third (divide your image in three thirds horizontally and vertically, and place your subject roughly at an intersection of the dividing lines. I'm not saying it's to be followed strictly, but generally it works pretty well.
Regarding the black and white mode, I never had trouble with the 5N and manual mode, I could still set my ISO, shutter etc.. Overall a very nice start, keep at it !

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Looking nice, shooting with the sun through the window is tough to get consistent lighting.

As to the B&W issue, I usually am shooting in "S" mode and all the features are there.

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Bravo !
4,5,6,9,10 and 12 are the best. 5 & 12 fav's.
One thing I would avoid, is to center your subjects. Look at all the shots with the kids dead in center : they're the least good of the set. You really should try a simple rule of third (divide your image in three thirds horizontally and vertically, and place your subject roughly at an intersection of the dividing lines. I'm not saying it's to be followed strictly, but generally it works pretty well.
Regarding the black and white mode, I never had trouble with the 5N and manual mode, I could still set my ISO, shutter etc.. Overall a very nice start, keep at it !

Yep, 5 (and 6) are my favourites too, and 12 my favourite from the B&Ws ;)
Thanks for the kind words!!!

Ah, the rule of thirds again :mad:..........lol J/K :D - thanks for the tip, it seems that I'll have to practise some more on this since it seems to be the critisism I get a lot ;)

I'm still confused about the B&W mode...when I choose B&W I'm no longer in M-mode so I can't adjust anything really with the turn knob or other quick buttons - It chooses aperture, ISO and shutter speed by itself :?:?:? Mine is a 5 (not 5N), maybe that has something to do with it?

teefin1

TalkEmount Top Veteran
The 2nd BW one of your son with the train set is lovely.

freddytto

TalkEmount All-Pro
Bravo !

that is true,look at this page, I am a fan of Steve and he has several daily inspirations that may improve your shots, by the way are very nice photos congratulations.
Photographing your family with the BEST photo equipment you can afford by Peter | Prosophos | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Nick I agree with Teefin1, looking at them closely again, n°10 (second black and white shot with the train) is a winner. Print and frame quality ! As much as I love the kids when they look at the camera, I have often found the most touching pictures happen when they don't. Those little turned faces are precious. In this specific shot the way the (window ?) light comes bathing his face is just gorgeous. The uppoer part of his body and shoulders are dead center, but his lgs going to the right in a diagonal open a perspective (in French a "ligne de fuite", fleeting line) which allows the eyes to breathe out of the picture, instead of caging the viewer in the frame. Those are boring little technicalities, but that will always impact you viewer on an unconcouscious level, that's why it's important to learn to instinctively see and frame with them in mind.
As an exercice I suggest you spend one hour shooting odds or tabletop items. Make them center, then use rule of third, then review your pictures. Come back tell us what you think.
And don't forget to frame and hang n°10 !

teefin1

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I'm going to try that exercise too Nianys, thanks for the tip.

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
lovely images :)

Thanks ;)

that is true,look at this page, I am a fan of Steve and he has several daily inspirations that may improve your shots, by the way are very nice photos congratulations.
Photographing your family with the BEST photo equipment you can afford by Peter | Prosophos | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Thanks for the kind words and for the link ;)

Nick I agree with Teefin1, looking at them closely again, n°10 (second black and white shot with the train) is a winner. Print and frame quality ! As much as I love the kids when they look at the camera, I have often found the most touching pictures happen when they don't. Those little turned faces are precious. In this specific shot the way the (window ?) light comes bathing his face is just gorgeous. The uppoer part of his body and shoulders are dead center, but his lgs going to the right in a diagonal open a perspective (in French a "ligne de fuite", fleeting line) which allows the eyes to breathe out of the picture, instead of caging the viewer in the frame. Those are boring little technicalities, but that will always impact you viewer on an unconcouscious level, that's why it's important to learn to instinctively see and frame with them in mind.
As an exercice I suggest you spend one hour shooting odds or tabletop items. Make them center, then use rule of third, then review your pictures. Come back tell us what you think.
And don't forget to frame and hang n°10 !

Thanks for the tips and for the nice tech. review ;)

My wife saw my shots yesterday and she actually asked me to print & frame No.12 and no.10

PS. I also have another good B&W that I need to PP tonight and post it. Its one of my favourites cause the expression of my sons face is adorable...;)

Btw, I'm still having trouble figuring out how you guys/girls can set apperture, ISO and shutter speed when in B&W mode :?:?:?

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Ok, let's tackle that B&W question...
What are you doing exactly ? Shooting in M (or A) mode, and Creative Style B&W ?
If I try that on either the N or 6, I still can pick ISO, aperture (well, I wouldn't know, I use mf lenses, but that shoudln't be different with an AF one), shutter, and even WB !
Now are you using any "scene" mode ?? Or "P" ??
Just try in A or M mode, you should be in control of your settings in both ??

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Ok, let's tackle that B&W question...
What are you doing exactly ? Shooting in M (or A) mode, and Creative Style B&W ?
If I try that on either the N or 6, I still can pick ISO, aperture (well, I wouldn't know, I use mf lenses, but that shoudln't be different with an AF one), shutter, and even WB !
Now are you using any "scene" mode ?? Or "P" ??
Just try in A or M mode, you should be in control of your settings in both ??

edit:
Nevermind, I figured it out....I'm an idiot :eek:

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Don't leave us in the dark, what was wrong !? Auto mode ??

For my B&Ws I was choosing the HC BW option from the "Picture Effect" from the Shoot Mode menu instead of the B&W from the "Creative style" menu, lol :D

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Here's another 2 B&Ws
I had to slightly PP those but the first one is probably my favourite (I just love the big laugh on my son's face :D)

DSC04792edited.jpg
NEX-5    ---    49mm    f/5.0    1/80s    ISO 1000

DSC04774edited.jpg
NEX-5    ---    23mm    f/4.0    1/40s    ISO 640

NickCyprus

Super Moderator
Real Name
Nick
Ok these now are not my "first portrait shots" :) but I have some new photos to share and don't want to start a new thread so I'll just post them here ;)
(for the record, all those were shot with the MD 50mm 1.7, stopped down @ 2.8, ISO 400-800, 1/160, Landscape with -1 contrast, jpegs, slight PP'd, using flash and with bouncer on white ceiling)

(I could also post them to one of my other relevant threads too:
https://www.talkemount.com/f17/playing-around-house-1618/index2.html
https://www.talkemount.com/f12/im-love-1894/ )

Marina, my favourite model (isn't she beautiful?) :D
DSC05554-001 (ρυθ.χρ.).jpg
   ---            

Making a funny face :p
DSC05581-001 (cropped etc).jpg
   ---            

Andrew, "stealing" some chocolates while nobody's looking :p
DSC05490-001 (ρυθ.χρ.).jpg
   ---            

DSC05492-001 (ρυθ.χρ).jpg
   ---            

DSC05493-001 (ρυθ.αντ.).jpg
   ---            

nianys

TalkEmount All-Pro
Don't worry about cropping head tops. At least I don't worry about it, as long as the rest of the picture works. I love the first of Andrew first, his little profile while he's thinking "hmm, which one do I want ?", is precious !
Nice set, and great to see you're having quality time with that Rokkor ;) Have you tried letting it sit between 1;7 and 2.8 ?

Latest threads

Top Bottom