• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

And the squirrel invasion continues...

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Was up at daughter's school where they opened up the year-end art show to the public. Between buildings, I spot a squirrel scamper up the side of a tree. He perches on a low limb, and starts working on a snack. I had the 18-55 lens on, and got a few really poor shots from the back. So I decided to switch to the 55-210 and see what I could get.

Lens on, AF, Auto-ISO, full zoom, Aperture preferred mode @ f8. Pulled out the LCD, and faced it as far down as it would go. Put my arms up over my head and can see just enough to get the squirrel in the shot. AF hits the spot and this image was taken at 1/200 and ISO 3200. Straight OOC JPG, no PP on this one.

1118-squirrel-tree-having-mid-afternoon-snack.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I notice some purple fringing on his back, but I am impressed with the outcome.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm very impressed too... some creative thinking there to get that shot.

I'm amazed of the SEL55-210's image stabilization too. I also can't get over how the AF always gets the eyes focused on all the squirrel shots invading this forum :eek:

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm very impressed too... some creative thinking there to get that shot.

I'm amazed of the SEL55-210's image stabilization too. I also can't get over how the AF always gets the eyes focused on all the squirrel shots invading this forum :eek:

Actually it didn't always - I managed two shots before he moved, one was out of focus - The AF got the back ear.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Actually it didn't always - I managed two shots before he moved, one was out of focus - The AF got the back ear.

Hmmm... I've never used it, but I wonder if the in-camera face recognition software would work on a squirrel, lol! :eek:

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Very nice! Especially seeing the light background. Did your Nex use the right exposure or did you had to correct it manually?
I had it on spot meter, so it exposed for the squirrel, and ignored the back lighting. Surprised the heck out of me when I saw it used ISO 3200 - Was expecting a fair amount of noise which I've seen on other 3200 shots, but maybe because the shutter was only 1/200th? It made me wonder if the camera is "smart" enough to use the focal length rule.

Veneboer

TalkEmount Regular
Almere-Stad, Flevoland, Netherlands, Netherlands
You said in the first posting that you captured it in aperture preferred mode at F8. That in combination with auto iso will result in the fastest shutter time possible. (at F8) Because auto-iso is limited (i assume ISO 3200) this will result in the the 1/200 shuttertime. Faster shuttertimes would have been possible if the aperture was larger (lower F-number). Your Nex wont override the settings you chose yourself because you used a 200 mm focal lenght.

Still i think this is a great photo and you can be very proud on the result!

P. S. Sorry for my poor english wich i'm writing from my phone.

Verstuurd van mijn GT-N7000 met Tapatalk

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
Yet another squirrel crossed my path today. He came down out of one tree and froze as he saw me coming towards him. I stopped, and slowly lowered my backpack and took out my camera. But he started moving when I started taking pictures, so it was very hard to maintain focus. This was the best of the lot as he got within about four feet of me.

f6.3, 1/200, 210mm, ISO 1600

1176-squirrel-20120527.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom