And for a change, some Minolta shots...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by f/otographer, May 5, 2014.

1. f/otographer

f/otographer TalkEmount Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Went out on a bike ride with a friend and took the NEX 7 and a couple of Minolta primes, the MD 35/2.8 and the MD Rokkor PF 55/1.7. Since the A7 has become my main shooter the NEX 7 is relegated to second tier or 'dangerous' duty where I dont want to risk the A7. A 20 mile bicycle ride qualifies for that due to the possibility of wiping out and breaking the camera. But it is wonderful to be able to take such a small, portable high quality image maker with me on such trips. First two shots from the 35mm and the last from the 55mm.

just east of desolation

bridge over not so troubled water (in camera miniature effect)

contemplation on the death of summer
    • Like Like x 6
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Always enjoy seeing your photos !!!
  3. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks Nick. Always a pleasure seeing your comments. :)
  4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    That in-camera-miniature shot looks like something from a Wes Anderson film. I like it!
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    Love the contemplation photo.
  6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Agree! Love that in-camera-miniature effect. Is that a LR thing, a Sony "effects" setting, or a proper photographer's "trick" of carefully selected settings and composition?
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    The first one is my favorite, strong atmosphere.
  8. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    jai- What a great compliment! Thank you very much. :) I love the Royal Tenenbaums !

Amin- Glad you like that one. It was actually quite a bit of work to shoot it. The young man in the photo is actually sitting above what used to be a doorway. We had to climb up onto the top of the wall and then balance while we walked out to the rear of the building from the 1800's. Not really treacherous, but a nice break from the bike ride.

Hawkman- That shot is basically straight out of the camera using the in camera Sony effect 'miniature'. All it does is blur a good chunk of the bottom and top of the photo leaving a thin rectangle not blurred in the middle of the photo. For some reason this really does magically transform a photo to where it looks like a small miniature set. Probably because it mimics the narrow depth of field that a real miniature shot would have. It is best used from a higher vantage point to get the most effect.

addieleman- Thank you sir. The lake we rode out to is very, very low due to the drought here in California. So we were able to walk way out onto the lake bed which would normally be underwater. It was an eerie and surreal landscape. Down on the waters edge someone had arranged a bunch of driftwood into a door frame and some steps in the sand. As soon as I saw it I knew there had to be a picture in there somewhere.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Very nice, as usual.

10. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
  11. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Artsy shots. Really like the first one. Was that an in camera setting or pp?

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.
  12. f/otographer

Aug 20, 2013
    Glad you like it unlo. I shot it originally in the in camera 'High contrast monochrome' mode, then gave it a light processing with