American Goldfinch intimidating a Tufted Titmouse

Discussion in 'Nature' started by roundball, Jan 30, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Legend

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    • Like Like x 12
  2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Nice action! You must have been able to get a nice shutter speed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    NEX-7 gave me 1/160 ( ISO200, AP mode, Canon 400 at F8.0, and a good beanbag rest )

One of those rare shots where everything just happened to fall into place at the same time.
    And the look on the face of that Tufted Titmouse hanging on by a toe-nail is priceless.

4. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Wow! With the way they are frozen in action, I would have thought it was much higher than 1/160. Nice work.

I usually use shutter priority when shooting birds, but you seem to be fine doing what you do so keep doing it. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    If I recall correctly, using shutter priority with my Canon manual lenses I had to use Auto-ISO...and when I experimented with that last year, changing light conditions would too often force a higher ISO than I like due to the noise involved.

Whenever I can, my default is ISO100, but in moderate to low light levels with the 400mm lens I do bump up to ISO200, worst case ISO400...and I've also learned I can get away with some higher ISO noise if the subject / scene lends itself to shooting B&W instead.

6. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    That's what I call "capturing the moment"! Great work!

• Like Like x 1
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks but I think a lot of luck was involved also

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.