1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Amazing Test Results: Canon legacy lenses + 2x-A Extender / NEX-7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by roundball, May 28, 2016.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Ran IQ tests today using both Canon FD 2x-A and 2x-B Tele-Extenders on various Canon FD primes & zooms. ( on the NEX-7)

Canon's "2x-A" extender was designed for use with the Canon FD 300-L and larger.
    The "2x-B" version was designed for use with Canon FD focal lengths < than 300mm.
    Both those design intentions were established for film cameras back during film days in the 70's and 80's of course.

But I was blown away at the IQ using just the same single 2x-A extender on several primes and zooms...so much so that I got a high percentage of perfect images SOOC that didn't even need any basic post tweaking of my JPEGs...just amazing...obviously the original design intentions don't apply when using a modern digital, or at least the NEX-7.

Great to know from personal hands on experience that by just adding a relatively small, lightweight Canon FD 2x-A extender to a bag or backpack...along with something like Canon 28-85/4.0 and 80-200/4.0-L lenses...that I'll have a heck of a range of high IQ focal lengths along on a hike or something.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    I've always found Canon's EF tele-converters to be some of the best. I'm not surprised to read that their FD matched models to be so good.
    Out of curiosity, have you tried them on your Canon macros to see what results you get?

3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I assume you mean as it actually relates to the 'macro' part of a Macro lens...no, sure haven't...I'll try to do that in the next day or so.

Today I tested the following lenses:
    135/2.8 prime
    200/2.8 prime
    35-105 zoom
    50-135 zoom
    70-150 zoom
    80-200 zoom

All gave amazing excellent results...