• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Already own an NEX camera? Interested in one of current or upcoming models?

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
I assume that those of you who have joined this new community are either NEX users or interested in the system. Who already owns an NEX camera? If you don't own one yet, which one has your interest?

The NEX-7 sounds like it will be a powerhouse, but I'm looking to save some money by buying one of the less expensive models. The C3 is nearly ideal for me, but I really enjoy the touch AF/shutter release on my E-P3 and am holding out to see if the 5N has this feature. Supposedly the announcements will come a week from today and the 5N will be available in September!

So for me, it will be either C3 or 5N with the 16mm kit lens. What about you?

Travisennis

TalkEmount Veteran
I already own a NEX-3, which I bought shortly after the C3 was announced. The only upcoming model that really interests me is the NEX-7. The 5N could have some features that would make it appealing, but neither it or the C3 makes me regret my NEX-3 purchase. Now, the NEX-7 is a completely different situation. As you said, Amin, it looks like it will a be a powerhouse. It quite possibly could offer nearly everything I would want in a camera.

jtbullet

New to TalkEmount
I dont own a NEX, but I own an hx9. If the 5n has decent manual video controls, i will jump on the 5n, since i am only using manual lenses in my short film. If the manual controls are pushed out to the nex 7, i will get it after selling the hx9. I need to end up with only 2 cameras, but time may force my hand, and it may have to be produced using a 5n/hx9 combination.

macjim

TalkEmount Regular
I'm interested in the NEX-C3, I currently have a Leica D-Lux 5, which I carry everywhere, and a Nikon D90 which I don't due to it's bulk and weight.

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

olli

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
olli
Something of a dilemma for me. I have a NEX-5. It's a great camera but I still feel I need a DSLR to hand since I don't think the 5 is a complete replacement. The NEX-7 looks like it might be a DSLR replacement so one the one hand I'm very tempted. The bigger issue for me then becomes lenses. With a DSLR already I don;t worry too much about the rate at which lenses appear for the E-mount, but if I were to replace the DSLR with the NEX-7 it would become an issue. I need a wide angle zoom, a fast mid ranger zoom, a moderate tele zoom and a couple of primes. THE E-mount has most of those coming but the prospective price of the 24 worries me and I wonder if the lenses promised for 2012 will be coming in January or in December?

With all this in mind I then end up leaning towards replacing my 3 year old DSLR instead. I already have most of the A-mount lenses I need and for others I might want I have a better range of choices. If it turns out that the NEX-7 and the A77 are in the same price range, my inclination right now would be to stick with the NEX-5 and get the A77.

Delhaye

TalkEmount Rookie
I just bought a NEX-C3 as a way to try the system. I was a micro 4/3 user from the beginning, but the Sony always appealed to me.

I'm really looking forward to the NEX 7 for the manual controls I miss on the C3.

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
I totally agree. While it is nice to see some improvements, none of the recent models is such a huge change that I want to sell my current NEX-3.

Now the NEX-7 is a whole new story and I would consider an upgrade, but only if the price was kept at about the same. I can't see spending $1000 on it.

I already own a NEX-3, which I bought shortly after the C3 was announced. The only upcoming model that really interests me is the NEX-7. The 5N could have some features that would make it appealing, but neither it or the C3 makes me regret my NEX-3 purchase. Now, the NEX-7 is a completely different situation. As you said, Amin, it looks like it will a be a powerhouse. It quite possibly could offer nearly everything I would want in a camera.

Nasilemak

New to TalkEmount
I recently bought a second-hand Nex-5. I love the camera and carry it around much more than I did my old Rebel Xti. The picture quality is great. I am happy with what it offers and don't see the need to pay more for the C3 or 5N.

m_i_t_u_l_i_c_a

New to TalkEmount
I never buy gen 1 of any product so I'm glad the NEX-5N is coming out with a reported shortened shutter lag (20ms vs. 100ms on the NEX-5).

macjim

TalkEmount Regular
I'm interested in the NEX-C3, I currently have a Leica D-Lux 5, which I carry everywhere, and a Nikon D90 which I don't due to it's bulk and weight.

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, having seen the new NEX-5n, I've made up my mind and I'm going to get the NEX-5n instead of the NEX-C3. I'll need to trade in or sell my D90 to afford it but the D90 is sitting in it's case at home not getting used due to the bulk and weight of it. Surprisingly, the spec of the NEX-5n actually beat the the D90 in many respects. The D90 only goes down to ISO 200 whereas the 5n goes to ISO 100. Plus the kit lens which the D90 has, 18-105mm VR lens isn't that great either so they are both very similar in image quality too. Yeah, a prime lens on the D90 would run the pants off the 5n but, if chosen correctly, I think the 5n could be just as good with a good prime lens and adapter, especially with that better quality image sensor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phoenix

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Phoenix Gonzales
I've been shooting with the NEX-5 ever since I bought one when it was released and I loved it ever since. I am definitely going to purchase a NEX-7 as it pretty much has the features I wish the NEX-5 had (EVF, more manual controls, etc..) I am not too fussed over the number of available lenses as I've always used 3rd party lenses and used the kit lenses twice (if that).

Kuriizu

TalkEmount Rookie
I don't actually own any NEX. But I've played around for a while with my friend's NEX-5, it felt nice to use it. I am very interested in the upcoming NEX-7, looks badass with all the specs and especially the built-in EVF ;) When I can save enough money (one day, hopefully), I'll try and get one of these NEX babies :)

Summerkl

TalkEmount Rookie
I just re-bought a Nex3. It complements my A33 and I am hoping with the LA-EA1 adapter I can share lenses. In a few years I am hoping to get a used Nex7 when everyone sells theirs to buy the Nex9 :)

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
Looks like the new NEX5 will have a touch screen shutter, at least according to the video. You are in luck Amin!

I just saw this in the DPReview Preview:

The introduction of a touch-screen means nothing if it does not enhance the user experience and offer a truly simplified mode of operation, and in this respect the 5N is off to a good start. However, the only added feature that is not available through the conventional controls is a touch to activate focus tracking function. This is a much easier way of choosing an object to track than using the control dial, but we would have like to seen Sony do more with the 5N's touch screen, in the way of an equivalent to the 'touch shutter' functions we've seen in recent Olympus and Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras.

So it looks like there's no touch AF/shutter release, which is a bummer. I find this to be a truly compelling function of the MFT cameras. It takes all the guesswork out of AF. Hopefully it can come to the NEX-5N through a firmware update, but the absence of this feature has me looking at the NEX-C3 as a less expensive alternative to the 5N.

macjim

TalkEmount Regular
I just saw this in the DPReview Preview:

So it looks like there's no touch AF/shutter release, which is a bummer. I find this to be a truly compelling function of the MFT cameras. It takes all the guesswork out of AF. Hopefully it can come to the NEX-5N through a firmware update, but the absence of this feature has me looking at the NEX-C3 as a less expensive alternative to the 5N.

Well, not so fast, think about it! The touch screen firing the shutter seems to be a nice idea but do you really want you stomach firing off shots as has been reported in other reviews with the e-pl3. Yeah, the NEX-5n only allows you to point to the focus area but it won't cause misfires and the SD card full when a crucial shot comes along. Sony may be trying to keep up with the 4/3rds brigade bit if rather have it the NEX-5n's way. With an iPhone, the touch to focus works because you switch it off once used so you'll have to do the same with the Panasonic if you don't want misfires.

Cheers, Macjim.

serhan

TalkEmount All-Pro
I have nex-5 and prefer it compared to 3 series due to extra grip. You can hold it easily with one hand and you need to do it for manual lenses also. I would like the viewfinder for manual lens shooting but nex-7 is an expensive camera compared to nex-5n/3n and the viewfinder for 5n is expensive also. 5n has the touch screen and proven sensor which makes a good choice. I haven't checked the 7/77 samples much. Since I have 5, I will wait and see.

Serhan

Amin

TalkEmount All-Pro
Well, not so fast, think about it! The touch screen firing the shutter seems to be a nice idea but do you really want you stomach firing off shots as has been reported in other reviews with the e-pl3.

I love the touch shutter on my E-P3. It hangs from my neck day after day, and I can only recall one time that my chest/stomach activated it. Meanwhile, one can tap the icon on the screen to change the touch control mode from "touch focus/shutter release" to "touch focus only" if you want to disable the shutter release part. I think it's a win-win feature.

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
I gave in ... I kept telling myself the 5N will have better high ISO performance than the NEX-7, but the 5N has all the same limitations that drive me crazy when using my NEX-3 and the NEX-7 is practically designed from my personal wish list for a NEX camera.

I placed my preorder for the NEX-7 yesterday. I will also preorder the new 50mm f/1.8 OSS lens but I am waiting to see how quickly Adorama ships my current Olympus lens preorder (I am also a m4/3 shooter) before I decide whether to preorder from Adorama or Amazon.

johnny9fingers

TalkEmount Rookie
I'd probably give the C3 a try as I just purchased an E-P3 and can't afford another expensive camera. But I am intrigued by the NEX cameras an am interested to see what they can do.

Latest threads

Top Bottom