Alpha 6000 geotag.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by 917K, Sep 7, 2014.

1. 917K

917K TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Hi all,

I'm new here so firstly I would greet all the users of the forum.
    Now lets pass to the topic:
    I'm trying to find out how to automatically save geographical location of the photos shot with the Alpha 6000, like when you take a photo with your phone with an integrated GPS module.
    Until now apart the discontinued Sony GPS-CS1 and the newer modules, which are too expensive, I didn't found any solution.

In my own opinion it's quite unreasonable that with a camera with so many connectivity capabilities like this one there's no way to get geotag data from a paired phone.
    I've got an Xperia mobile (which are the phones which is supposed to be the best to use with a camera made from Sony) so I've tried to get working with the Sony Play Memories Mobile app, which, how the guide says, in the version 5.00 it can be used to transfer location data, but I've no success.

In any case I prefer a solution similar to the GPS-CS1, 'cause it doesn't drain phone battery, so do you have any idea to how get location data automatically stored when you shot a photo?

Thanks in advance.
  2. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    If u have ur phone handy during taking pics. Perhaps record in a note or some other fashion where u took the pics. And add map data in pp using pc. Google + is great for this.
  3. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Eye-Fi SD card could be an other option...used to use it with my Nikon DSLR.
  4. 917K

917K TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Thank you both for the answers.

I don't wanna change my SD card now, so the only solution, how unlo says, is take notes of the position after shot a photo.
    Maybe i'll try some some app like this one:

In any case i continue to think that is a shame that a camera like this has no function to save position; it would be nice if this feature will be integrated with a new firmware or a new app.

Thanks again.
  5. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I went the GeoTagPhotos route and it works very well. It is simple to use and does not seem to impact my battery life on my phone anymore than my "normal" use.

After I purchased the pro version, I discovered that a navigation app I use, Viewranger, also allows for the export of .gpx files. Since I had already purchased GeoTagPhotos, I only validated that it worked.

So anyway, I guess what I am saying is that GeoTagPhotos works great, but you might want to see if you already have a nav app that can export .gpx files from because as long at the timestamps are correct, anything should work just fine [emoji6]