almost hitting the button on the 24mm 1.8 cz

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by gio, Mar 31, 2013.

1. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    just need a bit more encouragement and maybe look at a few pics, somebody put me out of my misery,
    it seems overpriced but it's in destroying my mindset

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I said it a few times: You get what you pay for. If you like the focal length, it's a absolutely great lens. If you can afford it, don't wait.

Here are a few photos of difficult lightning situations. I already posted all of these here, but for you here we go again:

8529145729_57291dc171_c.
    The power of stars by Poki5, on Flickr

8113297017_2687a84466_c.
    Sun Valley by Poki5, on Flickr

7966456406_b698b53ccc_c.
    The good old beat by Poki5, on Flickr

Radical Radial by Poki5, on Flickr

Attached Files:

3. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    that's all I needed,a gentle nudge,
    great photos and it is probably my ideal range,
    I use the cz 16-80 almost all the time and generally it is around the 20-25mm range that I settle for, so it should be ideal

gracia

4. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Similarly I was tempted with this lens, yesterday found a CZ 24mm f/1.8 for 899.00, but by this time I had to let it go for now.
    although to be honest I'm not yet ready to spend that kind of money, but of course it's worth, the quality is excellent.

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC

Attached Files:

6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    It would certainly be a lot easier on my budget if 35mm equivalent were NOT my top priority for a roaming prime lens. On the other hand, since it is, it's nice to have a dedicated offering that is such a great performer.

It's not my main product shooting lens (little too short - the longer legacy macros let me back away and provide a more neutral shape rendering). I do love that Zeiss 3-D "snap" I get, though. Enough so that I might be very tempted to get the upcoming Zeiss e-mount 50mm macro.

[​IMG]

I like the SEL24 for landscapes as well. Good corner performance, stopped down.

[​IMG]

I wouldn't quite say it delivers the full-frame look, but it does have decent isolation and BOKEH at wider apertures. Certainly much better than the 2.8 lenses for this type of shallow focus candid shot:

[​IMG]

You can check out the full SEL24 nudge gallery here:

SEL24 Samples - jeffaddicott's Photos

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great images, but I simply can't see spending 800.00 for a lens.

8. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I was looking at this lens a bit too much recently, so I filled that 35mm void with a used X100. It was a bit cheaper than a used 24/1.8, and I got a whole camera out of the deal, so I'm feeling OK about it. For now.

9. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    i agonised over this lens for a long time and finally bought one a couple of weeks ago.

Best lens I ever bought!
    On the strength of this lens I will definitely be looking closely at the CZ 50 when it comes out.

Go ahead and buy it, you will see a big difference.

10. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Problem always is: How long are you going to use the X100 and how long would you use a high-end lens that grows with your bodies? That's why the 'it comes with a free body' argument doesn't matter for me.

11. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Thats a good point. I have Canon L lenses that I bought in 2005/2006 and just moved them to new bodies. The newer versions are no better, so I just keep using them. It is definitely worth paying a bit more for a lens that is going to stand the test of time, as indeed the CZ 24 undoubtedly will. I guess perhaps it depends how long you see yourself using NEX cameras, some people like to chop and change makes as time goes by. I know I have over the years.

12. demiro

demiro TalkEmount Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I know, it's a somewhat vacuous argument. Just trying to rationalize the decision. The real truth is that I've always wanted to check out the X100, but could never quite justify that purchase in my head.

13. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    my only problem would be if ever I gave up the nex system, what use would the lens be

14. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Then you can sell it for a decent price, so you won't lose too much. I'm in the process of reducing my µ4/3 setup and sold the Panasonic 7-14mm last week. I bought it new in 2009 and lost € 289 which isn't too bad a write-off considering I've had the lens for over 3 years.

15. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Considering that you've been using the CZ 16-80, I would assume that you're using an A - mount camera.

That being the case, you *could* look into a Sony LAEA2 adapter for your NEX. It's about $400 new, but you can find them for around $200 or less used (They cost $200 new with the Sony Employee Discount).

Of course, they are quite bulky.

16. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    I have the LAEA2 adaptor, but I have decided to keep both systems apart I'm giving myself too many options when I go out.

17. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
  18. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman