Almost Awesome?

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by SpaceManSpiff, Jan 16, 2016.

1. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    You know those shots, the ones that could have been incredible, if only something didn't go quite as planned? Let's showcase those almost awesome shots here, with a bit of a story sharing what went wonderfully wrong.

I'll get the party started:
    It was the end of a great day in Colorado, I had been a great day out exploring with @DailyPeaksCO@DailyPeaksCO and a couple more friends...we found a ghost town, tried long exposures of creeks, a couple of hawks...and to top it all off was this surreal sunset with an old farm building and a horse as compositional elements. I got serious, broke out the tripod, made sure all the settings looked a-ok, set the self-timer to avoid camera shake. Despite being pretty darn dark and the have a slow shutter speed, the horse stood still. Excellent! Click, done. Later that evening, I download the image onto my computer --what is that?! Oh, the mare is taking an EPIC piss! That is why she was standing still. I guess she must have been a race horse earlier in her career. Almost awesome!

Pentax-M 80-200 f/4.5
    DSC00522-16-XL.

Oh yeah, this one could have been a great picture. A quick detour to the Rio Grande Gorge outside of Taos NM. Right next to the bridge abutment, there they were, nice and close. Power on the camera, frame it up, but I can't get the camera to focus! I try, and try but I can't get it. In frustration, I fire off a couple shots. I run back to the car change lenses --neither adapted nor natives look like they are focusing. In disgust, I throw the camera back in the bag. Back from the road trip, I thoroughly clean the camera before I send it in for repair.

Wait a minute, what's this little roller? Ah crap, the Diopter adjustment? --I haven't adjusted that since I got the camera. Oh geez, it is pinned at the far end of the range.

Almost in focus. Almost awesome!
    Pentax-M 80-200 f/4.5

DSC01512-2-XL.

What do you have? :popcorm2::drinks:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Great thread idea!

Though I don't understand why photo #1 is almost awesome since horse stand still??? You mean you didn't want it in your frame? I think it adds to the photo :)
    Looks perfect to me :thumbsup:

3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Nick,

There is a saying in this part of the World for when you have to relieve yourself.

"I have to pisss like a race horse."

• Like Like x 1
  4. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Sorry Nick, I was a little unclear there (I edited the original post) --although the horse was standing in just about the perfect spot and stood perfectly still (good) she was letting loose a massive stream of urine (bummer)!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If I had taken a photo like that, Eric, I'd frame it and hang it on my wall just to see how many people spot the micturating mare. :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    LOL! :-D
    Can't think of anything even close to that first story. I fold. Great story and image, Eric!

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Haha, ok now I ser it. Granted, I was looking the photo from my iphone and didnt noticed it on the small screen :D Yeah, its a bummer you caught that moment :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I am going to do that! I think I have gotten more enjoyment out of that image with the added flair of body functions than if it everything had gone as planned.

Glad you liked it, Ken. Are you sure you don't have anything?

9. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    One of my similar situations was scrambling to shoot a few rare shots of a Hawk close by, only to realize after the fact that I had not put the SD card back in from an earlier file transfer.
    ( Ever since then, whenever I pull an SD card, I pop the battry out as a reminder )

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. DailyPeaksCO

DailyPeaksCO Guest

DSC00522-16-XL.

An old farm building and a horse as compositional elements.
    You've got me rolling in laughter as if it were that day again. That was the reaction from everyone in our group, "What a pisser!"
    Looking forward to learning from others, their own experience of "Almost Awesome".

11. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Oh yeah, done that! On my old camera, I eventually taped a note with a R? on the little pop-up flash as a reminder to check if the camera is Ready and Re-set to base settings (from whatever experiment I was trying the night before), if the batteries are Re-charged, and if capturing in RAW.

12. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I guess it is ironic that a "regular" awesome picture would not have provided nearly this much entertainment!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. DailyPeaksCO

DailyPeaksCO Guest

I guess your are right, I think an "Almost Awesome" experience is healthy for our hearts and minds even though it is the "regular awesome" experience we all seek.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. AK47J

AK47J TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 31, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Nah, that's an amazing photo. A horse urinating is just a part of life, I think it adds character and a story to the shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    That is a great image, IMO, and I agree with AK47J, catching the horse (with such gusto) is what makes it special.

16. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

Great images and thread, Eric.

I messed up what could have been my personal shot of the year some months ago due to an AF failure. I kept the file as a reminder but still can't look at it without getting seriously p....ed and I'm back to 100% MF on my larger snappers since that day (I've never been a fan of AF or any auto stuff other than aperture priority anyway). Oh well :cautious: ...

17. SpaceManSpiff

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I hear you --this spring I did a senior portrait shoot for a friend and I used the SEL50, thinking the AF would come in handy and help me with being able to keep the pace up, but after some AF mishaps (focusing on a tree just behind my subject), I would have just been better off with MF.