Allacax Next II remote trigger

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by xXx1, Jul 31, 2013.

1. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  2. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi,
    what it really does? I never used the flash with my nex to be honest.

any change for remote shoot trigger for nex-f3?

3. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There is a radio transmitter that you put on the camera and it sends the flash signal to a receiver where you put your flash. This thing don't work with TTL so full manual flash only. This Allacax unit informs the camera that there is a flash attached so taking flash pictures with 3's is much easier.

Unfortunately 3's don't support remote trigger.

4. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    It works. There is switch to inform nex that there is a flash attached (bright lcd in my C3, that is). The same switch turns the device off and in third position device is on but don't tell nex that there is a flash attached. Firing is reliable, 10 shots, ten flash fires.

5. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    This looks interesting for sure. Any idea if you could get multiple flashes to work with this setup? Or would you need a second receiver? I have some old flashes lying around and need to do some products shots in a lightbox. Might be cheaper and more versatile than going out and getting a couple more lamps

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You can use several receivers (I have two), put other flashes into slave mode (tested, works with Godox cf-18) or run wire from receiver (not tested but receivers have 2.5 mm socket). with last approach the most difficult part is finding suitable cable. I would invest in more receivers, they are probably something like 20 USD or so and 2.4 GHz gives much better coverage. I will contact Allacax next weekend about pricing and compatibility with other their systems (the ISO hot shoe one, to be precise).

7. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Let me know what they tell you, I'd be interested. Do they have a website? I could only find their stuff on eBay and Amazon and on a few review sites.

8. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
  9. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I got reply from Allacax. According it all their 2.4 GHz systems are compatible with each other. I forgot to ask about the price of receiver but aliexpress has it for 22.80 USD.

10. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Not to dig up an old thread but I finally got my Allacax II kit. It only took 2 months to get here from China. Mine does not seem to fire reliably. What sort of flash are you using? I'm using a Vivitar which works fine on other cameras. It looks like the fit between the flash and the receiver hot shoe is not very good as I have to push the flash to the left to get it to fire with the receiver. I guess I'll have to wait another 2 months for the seller to send me a replacement receiver.

eBay has not been good to me lately.

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Mine works ok with Godox TT520 and Yongnuo 460 II but doesn't work with Metz 20 C2. No problems with hot shoes and has worked very well.

12. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Thanks for this. The Godox TT520 sounds pretty good for the price with manual power setting. My Vivitar does not have a manual setting for output. I can use the different modes which have different outputs but it's a bit a crapshoot as far as what the output actually is.

The eBay seller is going to send me a new receiver (Lumox 520) which is supposed to be compatible with NEXT II. Hopefully it does not take 2 months to get here.

13. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    There are quite a large number of powerful manual flashes out there. Even Chinese make about a ten or so.

Godox has TT520, TT560 and TT660. (and Ving V850 and Witstro)

Yongnuo has got 460, 560.

Jinbei has got its Caler series.

Unfortunately small adjustable units are much rarer and Sony TTL isn't popular with third party manufacturers.

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Any idea what a safe trigger voltage would be for the receiver? I could not find that anywhere.

16. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that ISO norm is 24 V. Many cameras don't tolerate even that. Better ask the manufacturer.

17. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I ordered the flash you posted above. For the price, it's worth a try. The old Thyristor flash I have has no real way to reliably set power. I was going to order an old Sunpak cheapie but the voltage was too high on it.

Thanks for the info/link!

18. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Thyristor flashes are ok for on camera work. For off camera work manual flashes with adjustable power are better and you need surprising amounts of power with certain light modifiers (I think that light sphere takes most of energy but it is so valuable indoors that I am probably ordering even more powerful one [thinking about Godox TT660]). I hope that Wansen unit will work with Allacax (I think that most of these cheap adjustable flashes use same components, probably integrated into single IC plus a large capacitor). Just hope they would put out a barebulb model.

19. HabsFan

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    You mentioned that you have the Wansen flash as well. Have you figured out how to use the micro adjust output level? The manual mentions you can change it in smaller increments by pressing the up arrow I think but it seems to have no effect on the output. Also, do you take your batteries out when you are not using it. I had not used it for 3 or 4 weeks and the batteries were dead enough that it would not charge enough to use. There must be some sort of power draw even when the switch is off.

20. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    You press up and down arrows and the leds telling flash power start flashing. When you are satisfied you press button in middle. I think that Wansen flashes have mechanical switch that turns all the power off.

I don't take batteries out of any flashes but a couple of times some of my flashes (even Yongnuo 460II where you have to press the on button for several seconds) have turned itself on in the bag. I have glued some small leather strips to some of them around power switch to prevent it. Storing batteries is a problem, I can't remember which are empty (I have cases labelled empty for that) and which are half empty so I keep them in the devices until empty or I have something important to photograph.

I purchased a better battery charger a couple of weeks ago (Memorex Pro1 Geniux , same as Maha Powerex MH-C9000 charger). 1/3 third of my old batteries were unusable (low capacity or too high internal resistance) when I tested them in it.

Good place in Europe to order chargers and Eneloop batteries is eu.nkon.nl.

• Like Like x 1