1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

all-in-one lens options for the A6000?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by soopadoopa, Oct 9, 2015.

1. soopadoopa

soopadoopa TalkEmount Regular

Jun 3, 2015
    it seems that the SEL18200 is kind of the king for this duty, but i just recently shelled out for the SEL13F18 and don't wanna drop another billion dollars.

i'm hoping for decent glass (i'm nothing if not a noob) under $300 (including adapter if necessary) that's not super bulky so i can stuff it into my fairly small shoulder bag. currently have the kit lens, the new prime, and a 'kit' 55-210. i'd like to just carry the 35mm prime and something closeish to an 18-200 or so. any ideas?

2. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Used canon EF-S 18-200's can be found cheap and there are some cheap EF adaptors out there that would probably keep you under the $300 budget but this combo will be just as bulky if not more so than the Sony 18-200 and won't AF anywhere near as good as the Sony.

There is also a Sony A mount 18-200 that would AF petty well on one of the LA-AE2 or 4 adaptors but those adaptors a quite expensive on there own.

Tamron do a 18-200 for E mount that is supposed to be the same as the Sony LE model. If you hunt around you could most likely find one of the E mount 18-200's in the $500 range. Either way anything at this focal range will be bulky

3. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Aren' t the 16-70 and/or 18-105 kind of enough in one lenses? :)
    Ok maybe they lacks in the tele departement but to me 105mm (FF) is mostly adequate

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. soopadoopa

Jun 3, 2015
    thanks. i've found the tamron and it seems that most folks find it just as good, give or take some opinionishness. also looking into the sony 18-105 G-series. i like the constant aperture, but that thing looks like it might be the size of a small car.

i was really hoping someone would say "oh yeah, *offbrand* makes a kick-ass 16-190mm for $150 that works great on sony stuff." life is hard...

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Well, if you want an older, non-auto focusing lens, there are hundreds of options. I personally have a 70-150 Vivitar with close-up capability that I highly enjoy.

6. soopadoopa

Jun 3, 2015
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I had the 18-105 G on my Nex-6 and actually its not that big given its focal length coverage... Its also quite lightweight which helps

8. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I think you'll get much better results with the 35, 55-210 and a wide angle prime like the Sigma 19mm. That setup will be smaller and lighter too.

What you gain in convenience with a super zoom you lose in just about all other areas, inlcuding size and especially image quality.

9. soopadoopa

Jun 3, 2015
    I was toying with that idea, but I really wanna keep my bag tiny. I'm trying desperately not to get sucked into the gear vortex.

That said I ordered a used tamron 18-200 and have my eye on an 8mm rokinon, just for kicks. I hate cameras :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    That's why I rated your post funny, afraid of the gear vortex? we probably are not your best company for that!

My 2 Cents, since you already have the sweet 35mm and the 55-210, just add a wide angle (sel16f28 perhaps?), you still have to swap lenses, but the whole package is small and convenient, while still packing a punch.

Whatever you do, show us the end result ( This is why we are dangerous here ;) GAS GAS)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. rtex42

rtex42 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 14, 2013
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Rick
    I know it's above your price range, but I just put my SEL18200LE in the Buy & Sell (posting begins with NEX-7) in case you can stretch your budget a bit.
    Rick

12. shnitz

shnitz TalkEmount Regular

Jun 15, 2014
    So, a midrange zoom is really worthwhile for, I would say, about 95% of your shooting. I have an 18-55 and love it. It makes a great backup/general purpose lens to complement my Zeiss 12mm, Zeiss 32mm, Sigma 60mm, and Sony 55-210mm. An 18-200mm "superzoom" won't really excel at anything. You're better off with a slightly larger bag, and a 16-50mm or 18-55mm to complement your 55-210mm. Or, if you're willing to spend, I recommend looking into the 16-70mm f/4 or the 18-105 OSS. You don't gain as much zoom as you'd think by going to a superzoom lens, but the convenience:image quality cost is not linear.

• Agree Agree x 1