AlienBees 800 or Yongnuo 560 as my starter basement lighting setup?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by shaolin95, Jul 8, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hello!
    So a friend is selling me one AlienBee 800 for $200 in great shape but as I read about it, a lot of comments were regarding how in the end some people get tired of carrying them for on location stuff and how it is better to just get multiple speedlights (Yongnuo 560 often recommended).
    I had my doubts about how they will compare but this guy has some amazing shots using just two of them like this:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/elreyfoto/16192452939/
    And like the guy comparing it to the 800s mentioned, he can use 4 of them or 2 depending on his need for a much more compact system and never felt like they were cases where he missed the 800s. In fact, he mentioned the opposite about how he realized some of the setups wouldnt have been possible with the 800 because of the location and placements.

What do you guys think will be better for my basement starter setup and better if I can take it with me for when I start doing some outside shootings (eventually my goal ..weddings etc).
    I have been thinking about a more automatic flash (TTL) although I shoot almost exclusively with manual lenses (Canon FD) so not sure how that will work.

I am shooting with a Sony A7ii btw and got only one single Neewer TT560 flash.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    I've got a AD360 which is between an Alien Bee and a 560. There are a lot of shots where a single speed light would not have cut it. I'd go with the Alien Bees and if/when you get into weddings buy the 560s with the proceeds of your first gig.

• Like Like x 1
  3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    To clarify I was thinking more along the lines of 2 or maybe even 3 of the 560s. Looks like I can get quite a few of them vs one single 800 Alien Bee.
    Still think the same way? :)

4. storyteller

storyteller TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2011
    Yup. 320ws and a bare bulb is a different beast. You need more than three 560s to get same output. Personally the better compromise was the AD360 which has almost the same power and is only a little larger than a 560 (plus power pack). If you are planning to use modifiers, especially large ones, the 560s will never be the same IMHO. If you work differently then it might more sense. The more you know about what you want to do the easier it is to answer what you need to buy.

5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Right now my idea is just a simple starting setup for a basement studio. Then also being able to use them to shoot on locations to "battle" the sun etc. Later on, I hope to move into weddings and the like but first I will be doing as much 2nd shooter stuff as possible.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I would start with two yn560. If you need more power ad360 is very handy but the yn560 would work as a auxillary flashes with it. I am going that route in the autumn.

I think that yn 560 are about 60 Ws and light modifiers can take up to 3 stops of light. 2 yn560 will have combined guide number of about 85. If you space flashes 6 meters from subject that will make and use a heavy light modifieryou will end using quite large aperature or higher ISO