After all the dithering......

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by teefin1, Sep 18, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks for all the advice, I've just bought the 5n for £257 with kit lens, £100 cheaper than yesterday on the same site! So the dithering is over. also ordered the 50mm but skipped on the twin kit with 16mm as I've heard it's not the best. Hope I've done the right thing. :)

2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Congrats! The 50mm is an amazing lens for its price, could not be happier.

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    If you could snap the 16mm for less than 100 USD in the twin kit, it would be worth it. I personally love it on parties and other occasions where I don't want to bring my large / expensive gear with me, and from f/8 onwards it's also a capable landscape lens. But yeah, the kit lens and especially the 50mm one are quite nice.

4. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    You are right Poki, so I checked back and all the twin kits are gone. The 16mm was an extra £90.......the dithering got me again.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Congrats on the new camera. It will serve you well. Oh yeah, welcome to the club! :)

6. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Congratulations, awesome image making machine !! Wait till you try older lenses ;)

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Congrats, nice price on the gear.

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Welcome to the 5N club!! :D

(there isn't one, I just thought it was a nice thing to say, lol)

Congrats and enjoy... I hope you fall in love with it as most of us have...

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Be sure to get an old manual prime and play with it. Might change your photography forever.

10. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    How do you find manual primes with a young child Nianys? This is my primary subject, children of 3,2 and 1yrs.

11. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    To be honest, I'm enjoying manual focus a lot, and finding it very usable with my 4 yr old, thanks to focus peaking. If you have a few minutes you might want to check the few posts I've made on my blog these past few days. I suggest this one
    Making progress | itsnotthecamera

and this one, in particular
    Pony day | itsnotthecamera

I don't know where you're at in your skill level or interest for the hobby. But personally I'm finding manual focus absolutely fascinating, at many levels. PLus, as I explain in today's post, the NEX's AF is less than stellar, so with a lot of practice one might actually get as fast, and more accurate, with manual focus. I think just owning at least one AF lens just gives me the needed peace of mind, other than knowing I have one if case of need, I'm better off with manual focus. For info I shoot an awful lot, about 1K shots per month.

12. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    congrats mate and as they say welcome to the club ....

13. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Hi, Where did you get the 5n for £257? Tempted to upgrade my Nex 5 at that price. I have been waiting for price drops, but cheapest price new I have seen is £299 body only (Camera Centre via amazon marketplace).

14. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Hi applemint, I got it from jessops online in the clearance section. They had loads and went like hotcakes, so have put the price up to 294 with kit lens. Also they're now in ex demo and used; the site has had a re jig. Another place to keep an eye on between now and Xmas is John Lewis clearance.

15. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    Brilliant blogs, shows the fun side to your skill, and your daughter is a gorgeous model. I dont really have a skill level as ive only just begun with photography and im having such a good time learning and trying to improve my understanding. There is so much to love about the 5n but the AF is a real bug bear (for me) . I have grest fun with the MF and even DMF but with three small children (+ 3 dogs) im still undecided between the epm1/a57 or the 5n with the potential promise of improved AF in the 6. Ive read thst the nex 7 gives similar performance to the 5n.

16. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    By all means skip the e-PM1, and any older non Sony Olympus m4/3 sensor. I think the Panny bodies are better propositions in m4/3, my huge favorite being the GX-1. I really wouldn't expect leap and bounds better AF in the newer NEX models. You might get frustrated at times with the 5N, but I think it would still be usable in AF with young kids, even if your success rate is not 100%. The GX-1 is a fabulous camera, lens options in m4/3 are numerous, and right now there are insane deals to be had as a lot of users seem to be jumping ship (the Buy&Sell board at m4/3user.com is just flooded with great offers),and the Panny user interface is the best around, bar none. I can only warmly recommend this camera.
    However, for portrait use, I feel the NEX better suited, for 2 reasons : the first is the larger, better sensor, the second is focus peaking. Panny is coming up with peaking next, so the only remaining NEX advantage is the sensor size. If Fuji has put focus peaking in its EX-1, I woulg get one.
    By the way, thanks a lot for the kind words on the blog.

17. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Thanks teefin1 - you got a good deal there. Will keep an eye on John Lewis and other places for any more 5N bargain buys (already have the 16mm and 18-55, so a cheap body only deal would be ideal, although I could sell the kit lens if need be).