African Safari

Discussion in 'Nature' started by seer_claw, Oct 12, 2015.

1. seer_claw

seer_claw TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 18, 2015
    Calgary, AB
    I did an African safari in May and due to work, I've finally finished going the photos and editing them. Here are a few of the ones that I liked. I'd say that 99% of my shots were taken with my A7 and 24-240, very few with my 55. Ultimately I enjoyed the flexibility of the 24-240, a few time I wanted something longer but overall it was a great lens for a safari.

We started in Namibia and travelled from the capital Windhoek to Etosha National Park. Then travelled across the Caprivi Strip to the Okavango Delta and Chobe Parks in Botswana. Then to Livingstone in Zambia to see Victoria Falls.

DSC03047-XL.
    A big male elephant, the elephants in Etosha lack some vitamins and due to this their tusks are weaker. They also use their tusks to dig up roots for food and since they are weaker they break the one on their dominant side (this one is left handed).

DSC03071-XL.
    Kori Bustard, worlds heaviest flying bird.

DSC03145-XL.
    Etosha waterhole at night, testing the limits of my camera. Maximum ISO, manual focus because autofocus wasn't catching anything. Really wanted a A7S for the low light.

DSC03177-XL.

DSC03189-XL.
    Black Rhinos, the only place in the world where there are still wild black rhinos.

DSC03231-XL.
    Wildebeest
    DSC03235-XL. DSC03253-XL. DSC03430-XL. DSC03464-XL. DSC03655-XL.
    The main salt pan, it might have salt water during a really rainy year. Lions hiding in the left side of the shadow.
    DSC03684-XL.
    Lioness hunting, wasn't successful.
    DSC03774-XL. DSC04153-XL. DSC03894-XL.

I'll put a couple of posts into this thread.

• Like Like x 8
  2. seer_claw

Feb 18, 2015
    Calgary, AB
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. seer_claw

Feb 18, 2015
    Calgary, AB
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 9
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Many of these are really nice, but there are a few that seem washed out in the first post.

Great trip

5. seer_claw

Feb 18, 2015
    Calgary, AB
    The joys of the African sun, best photos were during sunrise and sunset as typical but I wasn't used to the brightness of the sun there.

6. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Looks like a great trip you had there...the 2nd series of photos were my favs...good color, some action, etc.
    The shot of the hippo with its mouth wide open just above the water level in that pond was a rare catch for sure...

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Great shots! That fighting lions shot looks very close...

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

A little editing should get these as nice as the rest.

9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Nice series!

10. seer_claw

Feb 18, 2015
    Calgary, AB
    At one point we were in a boat being chased by hippo, I was watching the hippo and forgot to take photos. The boat captain was a little worried as aggressive hippos are dangerous.

They were a couple of cubs that were play fighting with each other, nice and close to the vehicle for some great shots.

I'll keep working on them and see what I can get them to the same level.