1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Affordable 24mm Lens recommendations.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by NightBird, Sep 3, 2014.

1. NightBird

NightBird TalkEmount Regular

Jun 13, 2014
    I guess affordable is very relative, though I'll need to keep under $250 for this one.

I already have a Sigma Ultra-Wide II 24mm 2.8 MF (& 28mm 2.8), and while it is in otherwise 100% good condition, it does have quite a smallish and faint smear (looks like a faint fingerprint, though it is not) inside one side of the front element. Happily I picked it up for under $20 + Postage, so I'm not bothered, and will probably try to find somewhere in Sydney to get it cleaned.

I have also found a SMC Pentax 24mm f3.5 that looks great, though I would be very interested in hearing anyone's opinions on this lens, or any others that are worth searching for.

I will be using it mainly on an A7r. As one could probably guess, I'd like the best possible corner performance that I can get.

I appreciate any direction here.

2. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    As a recently converted Canon FD fan, my recommendations will be the 24mm F2.0 or the cheaper F2.8 version. I have the latter and find it to be very nice but t seems the F2 is sharper in both center and edges..then again it also will depend on the particular copy you get as it goes for such old lenses :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    • Like Like x 1
  4. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    I second the opinion on the canon 24mm. I was able to pick one for $30. It had some front thread damage but optically it was perfect. I took an old 81A filter and put it on the front with just a bit up super glue so I could attach a lens hood without any problems

CanonLensFD241-28SSC_zps185fb00e.

• Like Like x 3
  5. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I have the Minolta MD Rokkor 24mm F2.8, and I really like it but I have to admit it does get smeary in the corners.

14050541896_f90d296258_b. DSC01619 by Jai Sbr, on Flickr

And that is on a Nex 5R. On a A7r I think you are better off with something else.

• Like Like x 2
  6. NightBird

Jun 13, 2014
    I have the Minolta MD 28mm 2.8, and it's quite nice as well, though I think the Sigma Mini-Wide 2.8 is a touch better, with substantially less CA around the edges. That's not to say the 24mm isn't completely different, and perhaps better.

7. NightBird

Jun 13, 2014
    $30.. Thats sounds incredibly good. The cheapest one on eBay Australia at the moment is a not quite so modest $450. I do have a couple of Canon FD 50mm 1.8's (an older chrome top one, and a newer one). Almost mint both of them, I am VERY impressed with the build and feel, I think I prefer the images from my Minolta 50's a little more.

8. NightBird

Jun 13, 2014
    I'll do some research on that one, though I have a few 28's and I'm begging for that something a bit wider. I actually opted for the EF adaptor as part of my A7r rebate, for no other reason than I didn't have any legacy or adaptable lenses at that time and the EF adaptor was the most expensive to buy. I had intended to sell it, though have kept it unused thus far.

9. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    +1 for the FD 24/2.8
    most of my best shots were taken with this one

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de TalkEmount

• Like Like x 1
  10. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    The Zuiko 24mm 2.8 is held in high regard by many myself included, though its very sharp it does lack some contrast. The single coated version which I have set me back about $200 for a near mint copy, though I would recommend the multi coated version as this one is prone to flaring.

DSC05982-2.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  12. NightBird

Jun 13, 2014
    The Canon FD 24mm certainly looks nice. Even the corners are pretty good (On a crop sensor). I think I will keep my eye out for one of these!

13. cbaus2

cbaus2 TalkEmount Rookie

May 15, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Chris
    I use the 24mm f/2.8 Canon FD S.S.C. on my a7 and highly recommend it! Probably my most used lens actually...

14578461729_0d7e1456e3_b.

14742034986_29c57b5aa9_b.

14648535426_740f8e2f22_b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  14. NightBird

Jun 13, 2014
    Great images, and convincing me further.

Attached Files:

15. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  16. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Man... Thanks guys... just when I thought I had cured myself of LBA, now you've got me looking at 24mm units! :p

Considering my investment in Minolta so far, any thoughts on the MD 24mm f/2.8 (either W.Rokkor or plain-MD versions)?
    The Rokkor Files has a very positive review (albeit done from a 35mm film perspective).

• Like Like x 1
  17. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I know the feeling. Opening posts around here can be dangerous for ones wallet :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    i've tested half a dozen 24mm legacy primes on the a7r, and the 24mm fd/fdn had the least amount of field curvature... here are some comparison shots, as full-width crops:

24mm prime lenses on the Sony a7R

that sigma 24/2.8 you have was one of the few lenses rated as a 4.0 on the old photodo site; it is a sharp piece of glass.

have you inspected your lenses with a flashlight? look into the glass from a side angle, and shine the light in at an opposite angle, so that it bounces off of the inner glass elements... then slightly rotate the lens; if there is haze on the glass, you'll see it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I certainly haven't surveyed all of them (gets kind of spendy at that focal length) but I've enjoyed the Minolta MD and Nikon AI - both 1:2.8.

I concur that the Minolta tends to smear a bit in the corners. It has some pretty radical field curvature as well. But it has personality and can be extremely sharp in the center.

Stop down enough and the corners really aren't the end of the world. Here's f/11:

14619007697_8836aa0777_c.
    Middle Fork, Smith River
    by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

I do think the Nikkor is a little better-behaved overall, so I went ahead and used it on the next trip. No regrets, whatsoever:

14784585068_19aa13b872_c.
    The Other Long Lake
    by Jeff Addicott, on Flickr

I would definitely submit the Nikkor for serious consideration.

I'm not sure whether any of these legacy wides will fully appease the A7r's appetite for detail. I can't wait to see what the new Zeiss Loxia line has in store for a 21mm or a 24mm, though it's a pretty safe bet it will be a lot more than $250. :(

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  20. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Legacy lenses do tend to struggle at wide angles, especially compared to modern equivalents.

Modern wide angle lenses make use of all kinds of in camera corrections and funky stuff like that.

The Minolta 24mm F2.8 might not be great in the corners, but it does have good contrast, nice colour rendering and weirdly (for a wide angle) really nice Bokeh.

That doesn't help if you are shooting landscapes though.