Affinity photo

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by CJScott, Sep 3, 2015.

1. CJScott

CJScott TalkEmount Regular

Jul 15, 2015
    Clarkston, MI
    Carlos Scott
    I see a few have tried the Affinity photo Beta. I was just wondering if anyone else committed to getting it and what your thoughts are on it.
    I used Photoshop what seems like a lifetime ago, but I absolutely hate the idea of a subscription model. Even with a student discount, I dislike it a lot.
    Anybody else trying this product out?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I bought it. But I confess that after trying to use as my default pixel-level editor for a about a month now, I'm having little success figuring out the interface. Even the simplest functions seem to be buried somewhere deep in the menus, and I have yet to be able to do almost anything at all with it. It's very frustrating because I keep reading how great it is. :rolleyes:

I have been a Photoshop user since v.1.0. But I'm stuck on CS5 now because I'd rather gouge out my eyes with a rusty gaff hook than submit to Adobe's hostageware scheme. So I keep hoping that somebody will eventually publish some sort of manual that will allow me to understand Affinity Photo's interface. I've pleaded with Affinity on their forum to come up with a decent user guide, but they just keep referring me to their tedious and simplistic tutorial videos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CJScott

CJScott TalkEmount Regular

Jul 15, 2015
    Clarkston, MI
    Carlos Scott
    That's basically the trouble in running into. Thought the performance of the program itself is pretty great, it seems like most of the stuff is just a little buried.
    And yes, though the videos are informative, they are tedious. I don't know if it's the engineering mind, but I don't really think they serve as a learning tool.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    There's a real opportunity here for someone to come in and eat Adobe's lunch. I'm tired of paying the subscription too. All I really need is layer masking and ability to use Nik and Alien Skin plugins. The rest I can do in C1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    BRILLIANT! Engineering mind! That's exactly it! Being able to systematically uncover and code around every bug except the biggest bug of all... you know... humans. :laugh:

Bottom line: A reasonably competent user should to be able to figure out the basics without having to break a sweat. But so far...

Hell, I don't want the Adobe engineers to starve. I'm happy to keep using (and paying for) Lightroom as long as I don't have to "rent" it.

But as far as I can figure out, Nik plug-ins don't work with Affinity Photo (yet). And I certainly "should" be able to figure out to do layer masking in AP. But so far...

6. sesser

sesser TalkEmount Regular

May 21, 2016
    randy
    Resurrecting an old thread... Affinity just released 1.5. I bought into it a while ago so it's a free upgrade for me. I think I had similar experiences in that it's not entirely intuitive, but once you figure things out, it gets a little easier. It's certainly very capable and (I think) worth the $50. There's a lot of "new" in 1.5 explore.

In the mean time, here's what I whipped up this morning during my first cup of coffee. The selection brush tool is pretty handy...
    DSC04290.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1