• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

AF System unavailable with E-mount lenses ?

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
AF System is in folder 1 - page 6 second from bottom in my Sony A7 III
It is unavailable because the lens I attach is E-mount.
However, I would like to change this setting and alternate between Phase Detection AF and Contrast AF, just to try and see what I get.
I may be wrong but the Phase Detection AF may be responsable for many of my focus failures. As I told you... I may be wrong !
Thank you ! :)
Please click here to go to the user's manual

i-qpJGmTm-X2.png

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
The included text from the manual makes it pretty clear this is only for use with the LA-EA1/EA3 adapters.

From my understanding, the A7R3 already uses a combination of both. PDAF is used for initial acquisition, and CDAF is used as a secondary check or in low light where I guess PDAF has issues. As someone who used Sony bodies when they were CDAF only, let me just say you do not want to eliminate PDAF. CD-only AF was responsible for many complaints about mirrorless AF back then, and is also very slow relative to PDAF.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
CD-only AF was responsible for many complaints about mirrorless AF back then, and is also very slow relative to PDAF.
Actually CDAF was fairly fast with Panasonic mirrorless bodies and Olympus eventually caught up with the E-M5 mk.I. Unfortunately M43 has stagnated a bit in regards to their continuous auto focus, with Panasonic adopting wobbly DFD and Olympus not relying on true OSPDAF on all their cameras.

Antonio Correia

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you Bob and Jonathan for your comments.
@ Bob - Yes Bob I read the text before posting and I was aware of the included text. But sometimes, there are ways to turn around and make things better like little tips.
@ Jonathan - The way Olympus focuses is much more comfortable than Sony's and it returns good results and I get

Indeed I am a bit pixel peep and what drove me to Sony is the quality of the images, mainly when using GM lenses which make a real difference.
To colorize the thread I post one image with the 24 GM

ILCE-7M3    FE 24mm F1.4 GM    24mm    f/6.3    1/40s    ISO 400

Ziggy99

TalkEmount Veteran
Actually CDAF was fairly fast with Panasonic mirrorless bodies and Olympus eventually caught up with the E-M5 mk.I. Unfortunately M43 has stagnated a bit in regards to their continuous auto focus, with Panasonic adopting wobbly DFD and Olympus not relying on true OSPDAF on all their cameras.
Yes DfD eliminates the trial and error of CDAF (with Panasonic lenses). You're left with the fine tuning moves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom