1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

AF speed Sigma vs Sony vs Zeiss

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by jeffryscott, Jul 21, 2014.

1. jeffryscott

jeffryscott TalkEmount Regular

Jul 7, 2014
    I just picked up the Sigma Art Trio and am thrilled with the optics, but am trying to optimize AF performance.

Having my daughter run at me, the Sigma 60 kept up for the first few frames, then failed to get any in focus.

Will the Sony glass (50 1.8) keep up in a situation like this?

The other thing I noticed is the eye tracking doesn't work. It says lens is not supported. I imagine it needs to be Sony glass, but do the Zeiss Touit lenses work with these features, and have better AFC?

I'm sure I could find this elsewhere, but just thought I'd check here first.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    First, the AF in the Zeiss Touit lenses is not that bad, but it's worse than in Sony or especially Sony Zeiss lenses. The latter have the best AF performance in my experience, i.e. the Sony Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 and the 55mm f/1.8. The Sony 50 1.8 is not especially known for it's great AF performance, so it's probably worse than the Sigma 60 in this department.

Don't know about the Sigma, never used them. But I could imagine a lens needs to be supported explicitly in order to make eye tracking work (although this seems strange), so if it doesn't work with Sigma lenses I doubt it would work with Touit lenses.

As for pure AF performance, though, I'm afraid that's mostly a limitation of the camera, not the lens. Which camera do you use?

3. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
  4. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yes, the Touits support PDAF.

5. jeffryscott

Jul 7, 2014
    Oops, I'm using an A6000, so the AF should be great:)

I am getting a 55-210 in the a.m. Will update the firmware and then I should have a better idea of what the camera can really do.

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Even though the single shot AF might be good on the A6000, AF tracking is a different beast. It's no D4s when it comes to that, unfortunately. I don't know how good it handles it as I never used an A6000, but from experience with oder contrast detection based pdaf supported systems, I'd say it can't keep focus longer than for a few frames. But I'm looking forward to hearing from you how well the 55-210 does.

7. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
  8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I only had the chance to try it once after the firmware update. It's okay-ish fast for sure, it's just not a speed demon compared to the 24mm Sonnar and some other E-mount lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeffryscott

Jul 7, 2014
    I posted my Sigma trinity for sale, going to stick with Sony or Zeiss. I really want/need the optimized AF for my style of shooting.

The Sigma's, as has been said, are simply astounding optically. I just need the better performance of PDAF.

10. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    I got my first prime lens today. I bought the Sigma 60mm. The tracking focus works on my NEX-5T, but I think the AF is a bit slower than on my kit lens (16-50mm)
    Do you know if there's a software update I should download?

11. jeffryscott

Jul 7, 2014

12. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    I just looked on the Zeiss site. It appears that it is only currently supported in the center of the Touit lenses, but Zeiss is putting out a firmware update (unspecified date) that will add full fast hybrid AF support.

13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I don't have any PDAF enabled camera, so I can't test it, unfortunately. I only know directly from Zeiss that they at least are supposed to support it.

As for firmware updates, they still haven't put out the update which fixes the flash bug in the Touit 2.8/50M, so I wouldn't put my money on the fw updates anytime soon.

14. jeffryscott

Jul 7, 2014
    Received my 24 1.8 Zeiss. While it cost more than the Sigma's combined, it is a lovely lens and worth it for me. Focus is much snappier than the Sigmas. I still have my 60 Sigma, but after playing some more tonight, unless Sigma can enable the PDAF in more than the center area with a firmware update, I will definitely get the Sony 50, or preferably the Zeiss 55, but again, for the price, the Sigmas can't be beat?

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount

15. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    Reason for PDAF is why all my e-mount lenses are Sony...plus the OSS doesn't hurt either. ;)

• Like Like x 1