1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Advice

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by L4RRY, Feb 2, 2012.

1. L4RRY

L4RRY TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 14, 2011
    Hi Im, shooting NEX-5 and now i cant decide what to do next. I was thinking about buying NEX-5n with EVF and get 50mm/1.8 and some manual lenses but then think about some regular DSLR, maybe Nikon D7000 (because more controls on body, better MF focus etc.). Could someone help me what to do ? If someone got both (NEX and DSLR) could you tell me what do you use mostly and why? Some positives and negatives. Thanks

2. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 9, 2011
    I am using both a 5n and a a65. The reason is fairly simple I had an investment in old A mount Minolta lens and they work well on the 2 bodies. The 5n is almost the perfect size for a camera that I actually will carry and use. The pictures are quite good and peak focusing is a big help. I use the electronic viewfinder on it and it really helps as well.

The 65a fills in the gap for me for a heavier medium size body. I like to shoot wildlife and the bigger heavier body is easier to keep stable on a tripod in wind, and pans a bit better. I like the menus/controls better on it as well. However I have the 5n setup quite nicely too. The big things you gain with DSLR bodies is better flash support, external mics (variety ) , battery grips etc. I just was tired of hauling big, bulky cameras for features I seldom need or use. I went smaller and shoot more as a result with a couple lens and a smaller monopod much of the time

Personally I look at 3 musts - easy control of ISO, Aperture and Shutter. The rest of the menu systems I don't use as much so it's not as important. My favorite layout is on Nikons but I have adapted to the Sony 's well

3. L4RRY

L4RRY TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 14, 2011
    Ok so hypoteticaly, if you dont need battery grip, and dont use flash and mic (i dont need these things) would stay with nex 5n or with A65 ?