1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice: SEL 50mm f1.8 or Sigma 60mm f2.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Manu-4Vendetta, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta TalkEmount Regular

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    I recently started working on a film making stills and behind the scenes, in some cases shooting the Zuiko 50mm f1.4 Zuiko lost some shots because I have to focus manually.

I've been thinking about these two optics that are good for portraits and autofocus I can have better results.

But I've also been looking beyond.The Sony has OSS and that' is a plus, so is faster; 1.8 aperture. I prefer the focal of the Sigma for portrait and have a better dimension, the SEl its very large, but I'm not convinced and sure of the aperture f2.8, is the problem of being acclimated to optical below F2. With the Sigma 30mm f2.8 and 135mm Underground f2.8 there are many situations where I miss some additional stop.

I think the main option would be the SEL.

Thanks.

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I don't have the Sony 50/1.8 but I do have the Sigma 60/2.8 and I must say that a well-working OSS would have been a bonus. I prefer to shoot at 1/250 s or higher with this lens because it's so damn sharp that the minutest focussing error or motion blur detracts from sharpness impression. I never do portraits but I'm assuming that you'd want to reduce sharpness there because every little detail shows up with the Sigma 60/2.8.

3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I got a SEL50 recently and I am loving the lens. I too have been shooting with manual lenses, a few of those 50mm, and the SEL50 make things so simple. Beautiful Bokeh too IMO. The extra speeds really is nice when you want some more extreme blurring so that would be my choice. The only thing I wish it had was the manual focusing feeling of my other lenses. :)

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The only problem with SEL50 is that focusing gets slow especially in poor light, it's a portrait lens, not an action lens. But it's an awesome lens, and OSS does make visible difference.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

5. Manu-4Vendetta

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Thanks for the comments people. I think the SEL wold be mi next lens.

6. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    I have both and like both. The 50mm renders oof areas very nicely, but it can be slow to focus and sometimes misses altogether. The 60 focuses faster and more reliably. I'm not wild about the oof area rendering of the sig 19mm and 30mm, but on the 60, it's very nice. It's a tough call - both lenses are very good.

7. Manu-4Vendetta

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Thanks for the date.

Can you make in som moment a portrait or pics with both lenses in similar conditions?

The bokeh of the Sigma is near or than good as the SEL? I can shot to 1/40 with the Sigma?

8. Fiddler

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Rubbishy photographs, but they might give you a rough idea...

50mmf2.8
    50mmf2.8.

60mmf2.8
    60mmf2.8.

I've managed 1/30 with the Sigma, but only landscape - haven't tried that slow for portraits.

9. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I see the above example posted both at 2.8 since you asked for similar conditions but i am guessing you want to see what the 50mm at 1.8 does bokeh wise compared to the 60mm or am I wrong? lol

10. Fiddler

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    I couldn't find anything that would work as a comparison with the 50 at 1.8, but found a couple of similar shots.

11. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The biggest thing about SEL50, other than the IQ, is the combination of OSS, 1.8 max aperture, and Nex's low light abilities. You really can't compare it to any other lens unless it also has stabilization and wide aperture. If you mainly shoot in good light, or moving subjects, it's less of consideration, but if you do lots of low light shooting of relatively still subjects, it's no contest, IMHO, even given 50's slow focusing.

12. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I have both. For walking around and where you just don't know what you'll encounter, the 50mm with OSS provides more flexibility and is very sharp. The 60mm, however, is wicked sharp and that little bit extra length is great for portraits. Both lenses are at the less expensive end of the E-Mount spectrum. So, go ahead, get both. Say I said it was okay.

13. Manu-4Vendetta

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Thanks friend. I think the SEL its better option.

But this pic make me rethink. Made with the Sigma by Mathieu Decodts.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8116&d=1380351886&thumb=1.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    You can get down to about 1/8 on portraits with the 5018 and a steady hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    I really like the sigma 60mm but that shot would have benefited from some ois. Shooting at night like that was tough without stabilisation. I really like the sigma though and I got it for £125 new from digital rev, very, very good bang per buck. It is razor sharp too and colour rendition is beautiful . It you can get it for this sort of price don't hesitate! But if it was a choice between the two at around 200 I would get the Sony, faster and ois.

16. Manu-4Vendetta

Apr 7, 2013
    Dominican Republic
    Emmanuel Peña
    Sigma has done a great job, the version for M4/3 also has a great performance. But probably would not be so useful being an electronic lens for use with my videos with GH2.

http://outlier-v.livejournal.com/118073.html

Thanks Mathieu. Great explication.

17. billybob

billybob New to TalkEmount

Sep 21, 2013
    Hello ppl,

Well i am gettin Sony SEL50F18 now been waiting for the black color and its out. It scores 23 on DXO and looks pretty sharp and has a good IQ so far from my analysis.

The sigma 60mm F2.8 DN, i definitely need for macro work, but im still skeptical because of no in-lens OSS.

I have a NEX-6 body.