Advice or opinions please

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by davegore2005, Sep 14, 2013.

1. davegore2005

davegore2005 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Maybe not the correct forum as it kind of crosses over from the Sony to the adapted lenses, but here goes.

I have an NEX C3, already have two FD prime lenses, 28 and 50mm, but for all round shooting does anyone have decent recommendations for either the 16mm Sony or the 30mm f2.8 Sigma
    Any advice or opinions welcomed .

Dave

2. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Of course the 16mm offers you a much wider shooting angle than your Canon glass so that's really an addition to your line-up; if you're into wide-angle at all, that is. Opinions vary on the 16mm, especially corner sharpness looks fairly bad at larger apertures. If you don't mind worse corners or if you're prepared to stop down it probably won't be an issue for you because I expect your Canon 28/2.8 doesn't have perfect corners as well.

I have the Sigma 30/2.8 myself. Of course it duplicates the angle-of-view of your Canon 28/2.8, it offers autofocus, data in the EXIF and excellent performance across the frame even wide-open. It's an absolute bargain in terms of image quality and it's one of my most used lenses.

As always it depends on your preferences. Do you miss wide-angle? Go for the 16mm. Do you want autofocus and/or better image quality in a standard lens? Go for the Sigma 30mm.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davegore2005

Jan 31, 2013
    thanks Ad, nice opinions

Dave

4. Mathieu Decodts

Mathieu Decodts TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 5, 2013
    Another vote for the 30mm sigma, when I am on a walk about with nothing in mind I take it and I am always pleased with the results, one of my most used lenses too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. davegore2005

Jan 31, 2013
    Ad, I love my FD 28mm, using it more and more, but I would like the practicality of AF on a compatible focal length, and by the reading reviews I think the Sigma 30mm may be the one for me.

Dave

6. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    You can't really go wrong with the Sigma 30/2.8. You may want to locate a second-hand one of the first model (not the ART one), they should be dirt cheap.

7. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    The Sigma 30 is a great general purpose lens, and so is the 19mm Sigma that doesn't get mentioned as often.

8. addieleman

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    There is of course quite a difference in viewing angle between 30mm and 19mm, even the difference 19mm and 16mm is significant in my opinion. So is a Sigma 19/2.8 an alternative for a 28mm or 30mm lens? Hardly, I'd say.

9. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    Quite right.

10. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Another vote for the Sigma lenses here. The 30 is extremely good and well worth every penny.

11. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Like the others said..between 16mm and 30mm is a huge difference. I love my 16mm mostly because I am using the UWA and the Fisheye adapter which opens up a new world and style of photography for me.

12. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    The Sigma 30 is cheap and awesome, and will provide AF in a very small and light form (not quite pancake, but I think you'll still notice a big difference over legacy lenses).

The 16mm will probably cost more but it covers a viewing angle you do not currently have at all. And it is a true pancake.

Your call...

• Like Like x 1
  13. davegore2005

Jan 31, 2013
    more than pleased with the opinions and thoughts of everyone so far...am certainly vying more towards the sigma, the reviews are good, and the focal length is certainly something that i would get more use from comparing it to the 16mm pancake

Dave