Advice on lightweight wildlife lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by LakeFX, Jan 6, 2015.

1. LakeFX

LakeFX TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 26, 2014
    Eugene, OR
    I mostly shoot landscapes and low light sports (fencing and dog-agility), but when traveling I like to take wildlife photos as well. I'm heading to Costa Rica in a couple of months and I don't want to haul a giant lens around. I actually want to keep my total camera bag size down as much as I can so I will actually carry it all with me on a regular basis. This is why I recently sold my Nikon gear and picked up an a5000. I don't mind carrying a bit of extra weight, but I'd prefer to keep that down too.

Right now, I'm looking at picking up a Nikon 180/2.8 and a teleconverter to use for wildlife. I figure this lens could then do double duty with wildlife and low light sports. I've looked at the various 300/4.0 lenses and they all look a bit big and heavy. My question is, does anyone use the 180/2.8 with teleconverter for wildlife? If so, how has it worked out for you? And is there anything else I should be looking at?

2. dannat

dannat TalkEmount Regular

Jun 22, 2014
    VIC
    cant comment on the 180/2.8 -i use a sigma 300/4 in nikon mount with adapter -it is fairly light compared to most of the big zooms & i am happy with its quality.the other good thing is you can get an eyepiece to fit the lens so it doubles as a small spotting scope [pm me for details]

if you're going to costa rica i presume you are shooting birds? or what other wildlife

with wildlife i always find myself wanting more lens f/l, when i shoot 135mm, i want 300, when shooting 300mm i want 400mm...then when i shot through an astro telescope of 560mm f/l i still wanted more

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It really depends on what you want. But the Sony 70-200 f/4 could be a viable alternative. It's not that big and heavy (relatively speaking), and although it's not that fast either, the OSS might compensate in some situations. If you need a longer lens, there are A-mount zoom lenses up to 400 mm (+ optional teleconverters). Not sure about legacy lenses, but I doubt there are better zoom options. At least I would recommend zooms in this specific area, since you'd need to move huge distances at those focal lengths to "zoom with your feet".

• Like Like x 1
  4. LakeFX

LakeFX TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 26, 2014
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately the Sony 70-200 f/4 is outside my budget (part of why I'm looking at legacy lenses). The Sigma 300/4 is a decent idea. It's still a little big and heavy, but not as bad as some of the other 300/4 lenses out there. I looks like it will probably come down to price of the Sigma 300/4 vs Nikon 180/2.8 and I'll end up with whichever I can find a better deal on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.