1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice needed : "Walk Around Legacy Zoom Lens" for NEX between 28 and 105 mm Focal Lengths

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pvp_victor, Aug 23, 2014.

1. pvp_victor

pvp_victor TalkEmount Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    I have 28 mm F/3.5, 50 mm F/1.4 SSC and 135 mm F/3.5 Canon FD/FDn Lenses (with user rating of 8.8, 9.4 and 8.7 in canonclassics.com ) and a lovely little OM Zuiko 28 mm F/2.8 lens. These are not pro lenses, but they DO make me very happy. While travelling, one 28 mm is always with me. Off late, purely for convenience, I’m thinking of adding a wide to short/medium legacy zoom lens covering between 28/35 and 80/105 mm focal lengths. My budget is up to USD 100.

I started with boundary conditions of 450 g weight and 90 mm height for the lens with filter size of 55/62. If the lens is bulkier and/or heavy, it may not travel with me. I have now zeroed in on the following lenses based on internet comments on their IQ:

[table="width: 500, class: grid, align: left"]
    [tr]
    [td]S.No[/td]
    [td]Make/Model[/td]
    [td]Weight[/td]
    [td]Height[/td]
    [td]Filter Size[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]1.[/td]
    [td]Canon new FD 35-105mm F/3.5-4.5 (rare on the bay)[/td]
    [td]345 g[/td]
    [td]84 mm[/td]
    [td]58 mm[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]2.[/td]
    [td]Pentax-A 28-80mm F 3.5-4.5[/td]
    [td]355 g[/td]
    [td]75 mm[/td]
    [td]58 mm[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]3.[/td]
    [td]Tokina 28-105mm f/3.5-4.8 (SZ-X or RMC or AT-X ???)[/td]
    [td]380 g[/td]
    [td]72 mm[/td]
    [td]62 mm[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]4[/td]
    [td]Nikon AF 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 D[/td]
    [td]415 g[/td]
    [td]73 mm[/td]
    [td]52 mm[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]5[/td]
    [td]Minolta MD ZOOM 35-105mm F/3.5-4.5 (rare on the bay)[/td]
    [td]430 g[/td]
    [td]88 mm[/td]
    [td]55 mm[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]6[/td]
    [td]Tokina RMC 35-105mm f/3.5 - 4.3 ZOOM[/td]
    [td]~ 440 g[/td]
    [td]~ 90 mm[/td]
    [td]55 mm[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]7[/td]
    [td]Nikon AF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 D[/td]
    [td]455 g[/td]
    [td]89 mm[/td]
    [td]62 mm[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Yet, I am not sure if the IQ of a legacy zoom lens (even with its added convenience) is good enough as a Walk Around Zoom on the NEX, specially after seeing results from the primes. Have I missed any other good legacy zooms meeting above conditions? Do I need to correct my mindset when using zoom lenses?? What to choose??? When confused where else can I go other than to all those experts in this forum? Advice and recommendations please.

Please also Note:
    A. 28mm legacy lens (42mm on APS-C) is adequately wide for me in APS-C.
    B. I feel 35-70mm legacy FL range is inadequate for my needs.
    C. The SEL 55210 (82.5-315mm on APS-C) is not a Walk Around wide lens IMHO.
    D. I decided to skip zooms with max F stop of 5.6 at the longer end.
    E. The new SEL PZ 18105 is too costly (I admit I chose NEX line because of the adapted lenses).
    F. I solemnly pledge that I will buy all those Zeiss E-mount lenses and Alpha FF Camera when I win a lottery.
    G. Bitten by LBA snake:miserable:. Has to buy some Glass.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Only thing I can contribute is this:

I am a fan of Minolta MD lenses and actually have a lot of MD Zooms in my possesion (including the one you listed) in which I depended on for as my everyday carry around lens....Until I bought the Sony G 18-105PZ!!!

Wow, what a great lens!!! IMHO better IQ (among other things) that all my MD Zooms (well perhaps except the legendary MD 35-70). When I began my Nex journey, I refused to use an AF lens but sometimes you just need AF and like you I choose the Nex to use with adapted lenses. Its the first time I'm admitting this but I doubt I'll ever use a MF Zoom lens as an everyday lens anymore. I will use a MF lens for those special situtations (for example I don't change my MD 50 1.4 for portraits) but since I'm a casual hobbyist shooter, AF lenses is where I think I'll settle...

Good luck with your quest ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    For what its worth, I only use Canon FDn lenses on my NEX cameras...its a daily hobby activity for me now that I'm retired and since film days I've accumulated a lot of Canon FDn lenses...including short to moderate zooms such as:
    28-85/4.0
    35-105/3.5
    50-135/3.5
    70-150/4.5

They all work perfectly on an NEX-7 body and to your specific question, the 35-105 has been an excellent one for me.
    While many shy away from 3.5/4.0/4.5 lenses as not being fast enough for very low light conditions, I don't happen to use them in dark rooms or places like that so it's not a problem for my photography.
    In addition, an occasional article mentions these Canon FDn zooms from the 80's as having almost "L" like IQ and whether or not that's the case, I personally find their IQ to be outstanding such that a bag full of fast Canon FDn primes just sit unused 99% of the time.

Just my personal experience with them on an NEX, hope that helps....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Tamron 28-75/2.8 XR Di in any mount. Not a small lens by any means, but it lived on my Pentax DSLR bodies for 8 years and has continued to march on my 5N, though mostly around the house lately.

• Like Like x 1
  5. shnitz

shnitz TalkEmount Regular

Jun 15, 2014
    I'll agree that getting a Sony E-mount lens, while more expensive, is probably a better proposition. I have a few lenses, and with each E-mount acquisition, my manual focus lenses get used less and less. The 18-105mm will have a more usable wide range, and will easily tie any 20+ year old lens in sharpness, while beating it in size, weight, color reproduction, contrast, resistance to flare, and will have autofocus and EXIF info as well.

Since you mention that 28mm is wide enough for you, I see so many used E-mount 28-70mm lenses for sale because of people that bought the full frame bundles and then decided not to use the included kit lens. This would probably be your best option, and is selling on eBay for about $250 because of the flooded market and limited target audience (most people that want this lens already got it in a kit, and anyone looking for a midrange zoom for their full frame camera probably wants the 24-70mm f/4). I'm actually very tempted to pick one up, as I don't have a midrange zoom for my NEX-6, but I think I will hold out and continue to watch the 18-105mm and 16-70mm lenses.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    No zoom lens I ever used on Nex could top Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro. If you're OK with that focal range, go for it. You won't be sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Couldn't agree more...

...but IMHO 35mm is kinda limited on the wide side and 70mm kinda limited on the tele side - atleast for an everyday carry around lens. That's why I personally bought the G 18-105 PZ :)

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    We need to remember that the OP had a number of criteria, one of which was a current budget plan of $100 USD for the lens

• Like Like x 1
  9. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well since you mentioned the FD 35-105mm 3.5/4.5, is there a reason you are not looking for the F3.5 version instead which is the better of the too and a highly regarded lens? I have had 3 copies of it (one was stuck wide open) and I kept one as the others I got as great deals to resell. They all had fantastic IQ. I do use lens turbo 2 which makes 35mm more useful on the wide end but since you mentioned 35mm-105mm I tought I would mention this.
    Regards

• Like Like x 1
  10. pvp_victor

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    Thank you all for suggestions. Now to individual replies:
    Thanks Nick. Sony SELP18105G F4 Lens with its “always clear, crisp and good contrast (courtesy http://usinglight.com/)” images weighs at 427g, 78mm dia, 110mm length, constant F/4 though with a filter thread of 72mm seems to be very tempting option. Then, ephotozine reviewer says, due to poor edges and wild distortion “difficult to recommend to those who may shoot stills”(in RAW format). I shoot stills more than 99% times. Due to my 6-day work schedule and family permitting, I get time to spend with my NEX after 6PM mostly. And extracting info from RAW files is quite an useful option, in these situations. But when a forum member recommends it, it is worth considering seriously. I think, I’ll wait on the E-Mount zoom.

Ahh, another Canon FD lens user. Thanks roundball, I posted my questions here only to benefit from experience like yours. The Canon new FD 35-105mm f/3.5, with 600g weight / 108mm length / 77mm dia / 72mm filter gets a rating of 9.3 in canonclassics.com. I ran away from this lens due to my perception on its BULK. Aperture, bulk & filter wise this is comparable to the 18-105PZ G lens recommended by NickCyprus, though heavier by 170g and missing the OSS. By your comments, you have encouraged me to seriously look into this “stack of prime”. If it is OK, could you please share how you felt/feel walking around town with this mounted on your NEX ? A few more words from you, might push me buy this biggie.

Exactly this is what I want to avoid.

70mm at long end is not long enough for me. Like shnitz, I’ll wait on the 18-105mm lens.

Behemoth, that’s what I thought initially, about the FD 35-105 F/3.5. To be frank, this is what I considered first and dismissed due to the bulk. With you & roundball suggesting same lens, and when this lens shares it bulk with the 18-105mm PZ G lens, AND with NickCyprus loving the PZ G as an “everyday lens”, I think I was too much worried about the BULK of FD 35-105 F/3.5 lens. Correct me if I am wrong here.

11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Well, I guess such things are relative to each individual...I'm a big guy and they seem like toys in my hands but that's just me...never paid any attention to size or weight as the IQ and utility of a good zoom lens trumps anything else for me personally. Both the FDn 28-85 and 35-105 have large 72mm front ends which I assume may account for their occasional reference as having "L"-like IQ, dunno...but due to their IQ and utility for my particular interests, one them stays on an NEX-7 99% of the time...and have become such an integral part of my frequent use, that over time I've picked up / stored away a back-up spare 28-85 and 35-105...don't want to be without one.

• Like Like x 2
  12. pvp_victor

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    Thanks roundball. I was worrying too much about mounting a huge lens on the smallish NEX, in what I call an Oxymoronish Configuration ;). Thanks to You and NickCyprus I have come to accept a huge lens for the sake of good IQ. You and shaolin95 have scored first round goals for "Team Canon FD"; I’ve started following FD 35-105mm F/3.5 on the bay.

I’m waiting for opinions from more members. Weekend outing for Team Minolta and Team Nikkor ?

13. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    hahaha yeah, interestingly enough my very first legacy lens was a Pentax and then I started getting into Rokkors. I liked them but then one day, I got this Canon FD 24mm F2.8 as a cheap replacement for my SEL35F18 I had to sell and it just floored me. That started my love for Canon FD lenses and I sold all my E lenses but the SEL16F28 since I have the two adapters for it. I am still wanting to test a FD 17mm F4 though.
    So like roundball said, its hard to determine how a lens size will look to someone else. I mean, my phone now looks small or normal to me and it is a Xperia Z Ultra which most people see as a monster :D.
    For me the 35-105mm is a good size lens ( I love lenses that are 72mm..somehow it gives me the feeling that there were less compromises made even if that is just a false impression on my part lol). When I have to walk around and absolutely will not be carrying any other lens (rare for me), then I usually just grab that one since the quality is THAT good.
    But I even have a Vivitar 120-600mm (FD mount) beast for my nex so as you can imagine, size never comes into consideration for me when picking up a lens. :D

Good luck mate! BTW, if you use Lightroom, I have read that user have good luck using the EF lens profiles with FD lenses.

14. pvp_victor

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    Striker shaolin95 sinks in his 2nd goal thro' a powerful left footer for Team Cannon FD. Yet, it could become very interesting when Team Pentax joins Team Minolta &Team Nikkor. Lets see how the tournament turns out.
    Thanks for the info on Lightroom; I currently use Rawtherapee. And, Vivitar 120-600mm ? You must be very patient and extremely good, focussing anything at that FL. Personally, hand-held, I max out at 150mm with my CZJ. May be a stronger Tripod would help me. OMG, you made me think about a longer focal length also.

• Like Like x 1
  15. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes I scored! That was funny :biggrin:

I am using a Lens Turbo 2 so that helps as it makes it really 120-600mm instead of a 900mm monster (which I use for Moon and stuff like that some times of course), plus with the added light of stop I get from the Lens Turbo, I am able to keep shutter speeds faster for better shots.
    You can see some samples here:
    https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=7574&highlight=120-600mm
    Specially the last set at the Rodeo were with a monopod.
    On my last trip I actually got cleaner ones (I think) from a Pig Wreslting event so the more I practice with manual the better as with anything in life. It is a TON of fun for me :D
    Even a cheap Canon FD 70-210 F4 (which becomes F2.8 with the turbo) got me very clean images last time. There are a lot of possibilities out there for sure.
    Glad I got you thinking about more lenses :clapping:

16. pvp_victor

Nov 24, 2013
    bangalore, india
    Vijay
    A search on "lens turbo 2" threw up "Zhongji/Mitakon Lens Turbo Mark II" as the first hit in Google. Is this the one you referred to here ? With this Lens Turbo, now you have added GAS to my LBA :)

I went thro' your Pics on the Vivitar 600mm Lens thread. WHAT an impressive lens size! And your rodeo pictures are bright and clean considering the FL ! Amazing. Keep going.

17. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    A few more candidates:

Tamron SP 35-80mm f/2.8-3.8 (01A), 62mm filter thread, 9/8, 386g
    Tokina AT-X 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5, 62mm filter thread, 15/10, 485g
    Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 (Komine), 67mm filter thread, 14/10, 680g
    Yashica ML 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5, 67mm filter thread, 15/13, 535g

One advantage of these lenses - they work on FF too.

• Like Like x 3
  18. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Yes that is the one. I got it from this seller to make sure it was a real one not fake. I really love mine so..sorry for adding more to the list :D
    http://www.ebay.com/usr/mxcamera?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Thanks for the kind words. I was really surprised it was so usable. Next stop is the Zoo next Friday. I will see what I can do with that lens. The extra stop from the Turbo does come in handy with a long, slow lens like that!

19. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    ^^^ this... now if only it was wider!

• Like Like x 1
  20. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Another +1 on the SP! Such a great lens! Oh, and good close focus... ;)