Advice for travel

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Peeam, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Peeam

Peeam TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 28, 2014
    As a new user of Nex-3N, I need some guidance regarding an upcoming trip where I expect to take a lot of landscape shots. As a former point and shoot camera user, I have no experience of traveling with just a prime lens. I am planning to take the sony kit lens (18-55 mm) and a legacy lens (28 mm, f/2.8) for Pentax K mount. I think that the 2 should be enough and there is no need to carry my 75-205 mm F/3.8 zoom lens as it is big and bulky. The small form factor for the kit lens just makes it the perfect size for travel.

I have attached a couple of pictures taken with the legacy lens and what it looks like on the camera.

Thanks

PeeAm

Attached Files:

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    So, what is your question?

3. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    If the question (which isn't entirely clear) is about tips for landscape shooting, I guess that mostly depends on your expectation. For 'optimal' shooting you'd want a tripod, and a lens that's sharper corner to corner, and preferably a little wider (for my taste) than the kit lens. Then again, it also depends on your destination. Some landscapes work best with widangle, some with a normal FoV, some with a telephoto lens. Depends on your personal taste.

As an example - my current 'optimal' landscape rig is an A7r with the 35/2.8, which is very sharp indeed wide open. But it's not very wide, so I will take overlapping shots and stitch them to get the result I want. I actually prefer this for a lot of vistas, because the 'ultrawide' perspective requires there to be something interesting in the foreground, and a more moderate wideangle or even normal (55/1.8 mounted and stitched exposures) perspective can yield a view that has greater visual impact. Sometimes. But not always.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No matter what lenses you bring, you'll find subjects that fit them. And no matter what lenses you leave behind, you'll find subjects perfect for them too. I'm mostly a landscape shooter, but last weekend I shot a bunch of landscapes using only a 180mm and a 85mm. Go figure. :p

• Like Like x 1
  5. jp300

jp300 TalkEmount Rookie

May 29, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    John
    No advice, but Woodworks your first sentence -- so true, so true...

• Like Like x 2
  6. Peeam

Peeam TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 28, 2014
    Thank you. I should have been clearer in what I was looking for- comments on the choice of lenses I plan to take and any tips for landscape shooting. I got both of those answered !

7. jp300

jp300 TalkEmount Rookie

May 29, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    John
    I took a trip to Tuscany last summer with a Nex-6. Nearly all my shots were taken with the Zeiss 24. After a few days I started to 'see' with that angle, so I saw the shot i wanted in my head. Pretty cool and rewarding!

8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I agree about both the coolness and the rewards. Sure, there are times when only a certain focal length will do. But for travel, when I'm constantly exposed to a hundred different subjects and views every day, almost any focal length can deliver an interesting image. To me it comes down to how much gear I'm willing to carry, rather than which lenses I will "need" for such and such a place. Once I allow myself to not just "look," but to "see," all sorts of opportunities present themselves. Even if I'm just carrying one lens.

• Like Like x 3