1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Advice for travel lens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by puckpack, Sep 2, 2013.

1. puckpack

puckpack TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 1, 2013
    Sean
    Hi,

I am relatively new the nex system and photography in general, so far I LOVE it!

I currently have the 5r, the kit 16mm lens as well as adapters for my Minolta 58mm 1.4 lens and my vivitar 70-210mm beer can lens. I am looking for something to add that is inexpensive, and efficient.

We are going to Disney World for a family trip this fall and would love to have a lens that can capture most of the sights we will see. All levels of light, portraits, fast moving kids and zoo shots.

Is it possible to find this lens for under $300?

Thanks!
    Sean

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Not really sure what you are looking for that these won't cover.

The 16mm is good for close ups and wide angles.
    The 58mm is great for low light work.
    The 70-210mm is a great longer shots.

3. puckpack

Sep 1, 2013
    Sean
    Good point. It is almost like you were talking to my wife :)

I was hoping to limit the amount of stuff I have to carry. Also, my birthday will occur before the trip and I was hoping to get a lens anyway...

4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Maybe the Sigma 30mm 2.8

5. puckpack

Sep 1, 2013
    Sean
    Thanks, I will check our the sigma too. Maybe the 60mm too.

6. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Constantly changing lenses is probably the last thing you want to do on vacation.

I'd get a 18-55, it's an OK lens and the FL is right for most situations. The 16 may come in handy for low light, don't know how it performs.

My most used lens is MD35-70/3.5, very useful range and great IQ, plus at 3.5 still fairly fast , and together with 16 it would make a killer travel combo, but you'd have to manually focus on running kids... Doable but requires experience.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

7. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    I agree with Amamba. Take a nice middle range zoom and leave it at that. When I shot m43 that would have been the Panasonic 14-45. That would have given me a decent range (28-90 EFL) and it produced nice results. On the NEX it would be my Minolta 35-70/3.5 as well (without a doubt). That gives me a 50-105 ELF and the fact that he lens can do two levels of closeup (1:4 and 1:7) makes it very handy lens to use. That said I'm very comfortable going all MF and not everyone is.

8. Mellow

Mellow TalkEmount Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Florida or Wyoming
    Tom
    But I agree many people wouldn't be happy about MF, especially running around Disney with kids. I'm new to NEX so am unfamiliar with many of the lenses--what's wrong with the kit 18-55mm? I would have thought that would be the obvious choice--much like your 14-45mm would have been the obvious choice in m43.

9. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    There's nothing really wrong with 18-55, it's just an average quality kit lens, and it's slow. In good light it can produce decent photos. In low light you need a faster lens to supplement it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

10. puckpack

Sep 1, 2013
    Sean
    Wow, thanks for the suggestions. I am combing craigslist and national camera for used legacy lenses.

I shoot mostly with legacy lenses so my MF skills are improving. Great point about switching lenses all the time, I didn't really consider that.