Advice for a newbie's buy

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by mary_m, Nov 29, 2013.

1. mary_m

mary_m New to TalkEmount

Nov 29, 2013
    Hi all,

I am a newbie who has just decided to start with photography. So, I am buying my very first decent camera and decided for a sony-nex 3, but I still have two issues, for which I would be grateful of some opinions :)

Issue number 1
    - Between the following two options what would you suggest?
    -- A nex f3 with a SEL 18-55 mm for 320 Euros
    -- A nex f3 only body for 280 Euros and buy the Sigma 30mm or 19 mm lens (for 150 Euros I think)

Issue number 2
    Although I came to the conclusion to buy the old nex f3 I am still wondering whether it's a right decision. So, between nex f3 and nex 3n (with sel 16-50 mm) what would be a better camera to buy? (price approximately the same)

Thanx in advance for sharing an opinion :)
  2. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that 3n doesn't have accessory port and 3f does. Accessory port is needed for flashes so I would take 3f. 40 € is quite a low price for the kit zoom so I would take it too. The kit zoom is quite usable.
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    It doesn't make an actual difference whether you buy the F3 or the 3N. Buy whichever camera feels better in your hand. As for the kit zoom - it's a great lens to start with and gives you more options than a single prime, especially at the beginning.
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    The biggest difference, (at least for me), between the bodies is that the F3 has a built in flash.
  5. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    If the difference with the kit lens is just 40 euros, get the kit, and heck sell the kit lens later if you don't need it - you can easily get that back or even more for it even if used. But a zooming AF lens can be handy just for personal use in a lot of situations, when you're not only just trying to practice photography, but on occasions when you just want to capture memories etc. Don't underestimate it!
  6. mary_m

mary_m New to TalkEmount

Nov 29, 2013
    Thanx for the useful tips guys!
    Following your advice, I decided to go with the Nex f3 with the kit lens :)