1. Welcome to TalkEmount.com—a friendly Sony E-mount camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Adobe's "Enhanced Details"

Discussion in 'Post-Production' started by firemist, Feb 12, 2019.

1. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    Say what?

I don't see any meaningful improvement: here are images shot earlier today. The DNG (Enhanced Details) was created by LR using the new magic sauce, from the ARW straight OOC - i.e. it never saw the Develop module. After the DNG was created, I ran it through the Develop Module. If I understand how this thing works, the DNG is demosaiced using Adobe's new AI routines; so further processing is just for tones and color etc. It took 40 secs. approx to render just this one image (!)

The other image I processed in LR using my standard workflow.

Trust me when I say there is Slim to None difference (and Slim just left town) :) 

The Enhanced Details
    Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 2.06.32 PM.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Screen Shot 2019-02-12 at 2.14.23 PM.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    DNG is the "Select" (left-side) image in the screenshot

2. Tipton

Tipton TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 30, 2016
    Rae Leggett
    Not a scientific opinion; but it seems to me there must be a hard limit to how much detail you have in an image. And I'm hearing it does make a difference for Fuji X-Trans images.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount All-Pro

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    So if you layer the two versions on top of each other and use difference mode to combine them, how much changes?

4. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount All-Pro

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I saw the press release earlier today and wondered how much better (or not) it made the pictures. I am always pretty skeptical, but they made a pretty big deal of it so I am surprised it is not more noticeable. As Tipton said, it could be you already have all the detail it can 'enhance'. Just a thought, maybe try with a less sharp lens or a dimly lit scene (though then you'd have to compare to just pulling up shadows).

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Beware! I installed the Lightroom, Camera Raw and Photoshop updates and after that the Edit in Photoshop option didn't work anymore, Adobe simply broke it. Adobe has acknowledged the problem, which apparently sits in Camera Raw 11.2; according to one user reverting to 11.0 fixes the problem. On reverting to the previous Photoshop version I lost my settings; I restored a bootable backup to my Mac because I didn't want to try to remember what settings and presets I had made. Wasn't fun, but went smooth enough. I'll wait for the next update, which will come soon enough, I guess. A lot of users complained already.

As to the Enhance Details, I tried that on a number of photos with very fine details; think perfectly focussed pictures with the Loxia 2/35 at f/8 in the centre. In some cases I could see a difference, but only at 4x magnification on my 27" 5K screen. Maybe, just maybe, I'll use it occasionally for large prints with lots of fine details. The resultant DNG file is about 4x as large as the original compressed Sony raw from the A7R2.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. firemist

firemist TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 4, 2015
    Actually, more than I thought....mostly in the distant foliage (somewhat OOF).

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.