1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Adobe Lightroom - for iPad - Syncs with desktop

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jai, Apr 8, 2014.

1. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    Check this out:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/8/5591562/lightroom-mobile-ipad-app-launches

I have been stuck waiting for a new Aperture version for what seems like years. I liked the way I could PlayMemories to get photos on the iPad, and then have them show up in Aperture via iCloud.

But this is app, with the syncing (not sure how it works yet?) makes the $10 a month for Photoshop and Lightroom just seem unbeatable.

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I hate paying monthly fees, so I'll stay with Aperture. I prefer its interface anyway. But I have to agree that the Adobe package starts to get very compelling.

3. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Keen to hear if others have had good experience?

4. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I'm with you regarding monthly fees. Seems everything is moving in that direction.

I personally have been thinking about moving from Aperture to Lightroom because of lens corrections, but I was leery after Adobe's move to make Photoshop (which I don't use at the moment) subscription only. It seems that while they haven't done the same with Lightroom, and perhaps won't, they are adding features that aren't available to users of the non-subscriber version in order to push people to subscribe. Frustrating, because I spend a lot of time on a train commuting for work and really could benefit from an iPad version that syncs with the desktop.

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The only reason that I'd want Lightroom for my iPad is to be able to process the raw files I copy from my camera while on the road. And since this new app won't allow me to do that (it only syncs files with your desktop computer), and since it requires me to sign up for Adobe's nefarious hostageware scheme, I'll pass.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The reason for this might not only be that Adobe wants you to subscribe to the full package, however. The iPad may not be powerful enough to process 36 MP RAW files, and although the iPad Air should be capable of that, it would be slower than Adobe might want.

7. Erik5275

Erik5275 TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 15, 2014
    My iPad 3 (the original retina ipad) is lagging quite a bit when using the lightroom mobile app. It helps a lot with load times to make the collection available offline on the iPad, but whenever I drag a slider there is a delay of about 2-5 seconds before changes are visible.

Other than that I like it. You only get the basic develop panel though, and the built in presets. No sharpening, HSL, tone curve or details or anything. Great for flagging and making some basic editing though, and then do the actual work at the computer.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Lightroom is one of the few remaining Adobe apps that is not part of their subscription scheme. So why would they require us to subscribe to use the Lightroom mobile app?

9. Erik5275

Erik5275 TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 15, 2014
    I would guess it's because lightroom mobile requires use of storage on their cloud servers. No cloud storage is included when buying lightroom outside of a subscription.

For me personally, subscribing at $9,99 US is a lot cheaper than buying upgrades for lightroom and Photoshop separately. I know it's not for everyone though, but I can see why adobe requires a CC subscription for lightroom mobile.

10. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    One thing i didn't realise was, its not a $9.99 subscription like spotify, it's a 1 year contract at $9.99 per month.

That's not cool!

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Considering it includes Photoshop CC, a software which previously cost more than a grand, it's still insanely cheap. But I still hate to pay monthly, so I won't buy it. If I were a working pro, however, the 10 bucks a month probably would feel like nothing, so I can see enough people buying into that subscription.

12. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    I just want lightroom, and the ipad version of lightroom.

I guess I will stick to Aperture : /

Wish Apple would update it already.