Adobe Lens Profiles for some legacy glass

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by addieleman, Jan 1, 2014.

1. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Made lens profiles for some of my legacy glass used on the A7. You can download them from my SkyDrive folder and on a Windows machine you have to place them in
    The profiles only supply correction for geometric distortion, vignetting and CA are not corrected. With the profiling procedure I used, vignetting profiling resulted in considerable over-correction.

No need to read this paragraph if you just want to use the profiles, but if you want to make profiles yourself, displaying a test chart on an LCD (TV!) screen is an alternative for printing the calibration charts supplied with the free Adobe Lens Profile Creator program. I didn't want to spend money on printing a large chart, so I wrote a little program to generate a JPEG file with a test chart and I displayed that on my home TV. However, I guess using a screen is the reason that vignetting correction doesn't turn out well, probably because of brightness variation of the screen with viewing angle. Anyway, if someone wants a JPEG correction chart with certain dimensions, just ask and I'll run my program again. I've uploaded 1 sample already in HD size (1920x1080 px, 49x27 fields).

Finally a demo to show off how well this works!

The worst offender, the Minolta MD W.Rokkor 20mm 1:2.8

And corrected!
    • Like Like x 9
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Gah, you might make me want to go back to Adobe :( I miss spot heal already and now this... :((((
  3. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Many thanks.

I have not used it yet, but I downloaded the profile for the MD W.Rokkor 20mm f:2.8, and expect to find it quite useful.

- Tom -
  4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    Thanks for sharing Ad.
  5. Snowy

Snowy TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks very much Ad. That could be useful once my MD 24 f2.8 arrives.
  6. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks a lot for sharing ! A stupid question... The profile is not sensor specific, it's only based on the optics of the lens, right ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    I don't know how the profile works exactly. When making the profile the camera name was added to the default file name for the profile, so I guess the profile is also camera-specific. In an earlier LR version (5.3 RC) the lens profiles for e.g. the SEL-1018 didn't work for the A7 and now they do (5.3), so that enhances my presumption that the profile is camera specific. I didn't try to modify or hack the profiles to make it useable for e.g. the A7R. I also don't know if the profile is useable for APS-C files; I think it should be possible because LR should be able to work with part of an image and it should be able to use the profile data for it.