1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Adding Textures

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WestOkid, Mar 16, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    What do you guys think of adding texture to "some" pictures? I say some because I think everything has its place. Here's my experiment below. I took the picture on the way home. It's City Hall in NYC. The way they rebuilt the park has an old world look that just didn't get captured when I looked at the OOC shot. I found some "vintage film textures" on-line and added it in Photoshop. I think the end result better captures my vision when I took the picture.

13148261845_e361091796_b.
    Vintage Night by WestOkid, on Flickr

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    All photos get manipulated to some extent, even if it's only in the framing or exposure choice. And how much "apping" or "filtering" to apply is entirely a matter of taste, IMO. I happen to like what you did to the photo above. It gives me an emotional connection to it that may not have been there in the original (though I can't say for sure, since I haven't seen it). In the end, I think what you wrote perfectly captures all anyone needs to know on the subject of digital manipulation:

• Like Like x 1
  3. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks. Here is a link to the original. Didn't want to load it to flickr.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1udqsSjnPjpcUZkUF93UHhVZWc/edit?usp=sharing

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    The link for the oe photo doesn't seem to work (or maybe its just me)...

I'm new to photography so wasn't aware of this effect applied. However, seeing this for the first time here, I can't say I'm attracted to it - just a personal preference though :) I think I'd prefer a simple B&W conversion or possibly other effect that gives a vintage look

5. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks Nick. I'm new too. I have been trying a bit of everything. As an FYI. This effect cannot be added by a simple filter in LR. This was done in Photoshop. It is essentially to photos merged. One layer is a picture/texture of a vintage negative,the other is my picture.

You can find several tutorials on web for adding textures. However since you don't like it, maybe not. :)

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. anhoegh

anhoegh New to TalkEmount

Jan 3, 2014
    I like it. Very nice.