1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adding extra lens hood to the metal ones for my old lenses..does it help?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Aug 31, 2013.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hi!
    As I was reading about some lenses like the Hexanon 135mm the author kept mentioning that the built in hoods were a bit shallow and that adding and extra hood accessory helps to increase contrast etc.
    Have you guys done that?
    I was thinking on getting some for my 200, 300 and 135mm lenses that only have the built in ones.
    Not even sure how that works...I guess like adding a rubber hood to the metal hood for example.

Thanks!

2. jvjc888

jvjc888 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 18, 2013
    I use hood all the time. The main purpose is to block light especially out in the sun, thus reducing flare. It may help in the contrast but I think it should only be minimal. Another advantage of the hood is to keep your front element safe from bumps, etc.

3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    To clarify i mean adding an extra hood to the built-in metal hood. Is that what you do?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using TalkNEX mobile app

4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    With some lenses I just don't use the built-in lens hood but I mount a separate lens hood on it which is mostly longer and probably more effective. My main motive to do so is that I don't like to have an extra step while changing lenses, i.e. taking off the lens cap and sliding out the hood or trying to find that f*ing lens cap in my bag to put it back on. I tend to put the lenses in my bag with lens hoods and (sometimes) filters mounted so that I only have to deal with the rear lens cap when changing them.