1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adding a lens hood to lens that doesn't originally have one?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Nubster, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Should you? I just got my 50 F1.4 MC ROKKOR-X PG today and I believe it never came with a hood. There's no attachment point on the lens for a standard hood either however the lens is threaded to except a filter. I know you can get threaded hoods, I have one on my Nikkor 50mm. I was just wondering, are lenses in their design meant to have or not have a hood? If they are not designed to use one, what's the harm in using one? Any benefit?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    The benefits of a hood are reduced flare, higher contrast, and some extra physical protection for the front lens elements. The only possible harm would be some vignetting if you use a mismatched hood.

3. Michael Johansson

Michael Johansson TalkEmount Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Ystad, Sweden
    Michael Johansson
    In the ancient times of manual focus lenses almost no lenses had bayonet mounted lenshoods. They were almost allways threaded or sometimes pushed on the outside of the lensbarrel where the filter thread is, then locked with a small locking screw (Minolta 21mm I belive was like that). I would certainly put on a lenshood of the screw type model if there is none suplied as I allways did in those old days.

I can´t see any harm in using them apart from adding bulk to the camera bag. The benefit is of course protection from stray light when lens is pointed in the direction of strong light sources.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    If you want to keep the overall length of the lens shorter you can use a step down ring instead of a hood. For a 50mm lens a step down to 28mm works fine and you can get a snap in 28mm lens cap.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I too bought an aftermarket threaded (screw in) plastic lens hood for my MD 50mm
    Its a little "tight" to fit (afraid not damaging the threaded part of the lens...) and haven't been using it much not only because of this but also because I don't shoot with the MD much outdoors

One thing that bothers me with this lens hood is that when attached on the lens, the front lens cap can't be fitted at the same time :mad:

6. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Thanks. Guess I'll grab a hood then. I need to order caps anyways since the lens didn't come with them. I was thinking of just getting one of those collapsible rubber hoods. That's what I have on my Nikkor and it folds back completely out of the way when not in use.

7. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    hmmm...well that does suck. I hate not using a cap on my lenses when not being used. Right now I am stuck using a plastic baggie to store my ROKKOR until I get a hold of some proper caps. I hate the idea of having to screw the hood on and off every time I want to use the lens with a hood. Maybe I'll look into a slip on option if there is one that will fit this lens.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    You guys are really making this harder than it needs to be. ;)

_DSC2169.

That's my Pentax SMC 55/1.8. The Step down ring/cap adds about 3/8 inch (10mm) total to the length of the lens. And no, it doesn't make the lens vignette on a 50mm lens. Might on a wide angle, but then you just step down to 37mm instead. :cool:

9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Step down rings? I think Sony's 180€ lens hod for the RX1 looks cooler than that. ;) /sarcasm

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'm getting more and more lax about using caps or filters on lenses. Hoods however I use religiously, for physical protection and getting less grime, rain or snow on the front lens (or filter). For Minolta lenses or other legacy glass I don't really care for the original hood because on APS-C the original ones are wider than necessary. I just browse through my generic hoods to find one that is not too tight. I test that by moving my finger inside the hood to see when it comes into the image. If you see an immediate effect when moving it inside the hood, it is too tight.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    LOL!! And it's only 175€ or so more expensive too! ;)

12. Nubster

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    Guess I'd have to try to believe. Just seems like going from 55m to 28mm or 37mm would cause some sort of issue.

13. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It works, weird as it seems. :)

14. Robert

Robert New to TalkEmount

Feb 16, 2013
    On a 50mm legacy lens do you think there'd be vignetting if a polariser was stacked on top of the 28mm ring?

Would it be safer to go 49mm - 37mm - 37mm polariser?

Thanks in advance.

15. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    This is how I make up my own lens hoods for using lenses on APS-C (NEX)......Remember that most supplied lenshoods are so inefficient that you might as well not bother with them! Add the 'loss' of viewing angle when using APS-C and most lens hoods are a complete waste of time, money, and space.

I use inexpensive lens covers and make my own hoods,...they are efficient since I adjust to the lens personally,..they do not project from the lens and are easy to store in pockets/bags or on the lens

CIMG0983.

Attached Files:

16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Well, not having any 28mm filters I can't say. But we aren't talking mega bucks here- the step down ring and cap were less than $5 off ebay. Find a nice camera store that will let you experiment. Many of them have a used filter bin that probably has what you need.

And BTW- welcome to the forum. :)

17. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    That's very inventive. More energetic than I am though. ;) The trick to this is getting the right cap that you can drill out the center of without affecting the funtioning of the cap. Well done! :2thumbs:

Attached Files: