1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Adapting a MD 50mm to a Nex-5N?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Grisu_HDH, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Dear Nex-mates.
    Having to much time about X-mas I spent too much time in the net looking at pictures shot with adapted lenses.
    Now I would like to try it myself...
    What would you recommend as a standard or macro lens?

I thought about a Minolta Rokkor 50mm.
    Searching in a well know auction house I found different versions:
    - Aperture 16 or 22
    - 1:1.4 or 1:1.7
    - ?

What are the differences???
    How do I recognize a good deal???
    :confused:
    What adapter to use? Does it have to be a Novoflex?

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    You probably don't need the Novoflex - the $18 adapter I got for MD lenses on Amazon is the smoothest working adapter I have.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Minolta lenses are an excellent start as adapted lenses on a NEX-6 (I may just be a little bit biased as a Minolta collector :)). When starting I'd advise to get the cheapest MD 50mm lens you can find and a cheap adapter. When you like using adapted lenses, you'll want other lenses anyway and if you don't like adapted lenses you didn't lose too much money. Avoid Minolta MC lenses as a general rule, they often have low contrast and are likely to disappoint you.

4. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Many of us are big Minolta lenses fans here, search for Kevin's "Rokkor archive" blog. I personally have a very nice 50/1.7 metal construction listed in the Buy&Sell section, and I'm close to you, in France.

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
  6. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Decided to go for a Rokkor 50mm MC or MD, either 1.7 or prefered 1.4!
    Took some auctions into my focus already and hope that I can be patient to wait for a good deal... :cool:

7. Halbraun

Halbraun New to TalkEmount

Dec 25, 2012
    Well, I have to say, after trying both.. That I really prefer the Nikon 50 1.8 (even better than the Nikon 50 1.4, as well as the Rokkors). Razor sharp, beautiful color and contrast, just a lovely lens.. In fact, if you can find the Nikon 85mm 1.8 reasonably, it is a tremendous addition too. I use either a fotodiox or rainbow imaging adapter.. About 20 to 30 bucks, they work great.. No light leakage or other issues. If you can find a shop that has an old used section, they will usually let you rent/try out the older lenses, so try a bunch. Like potato chips, bet you can't have just one :)

8. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Unfortunately we don't have such shops around here... :(

And I'm afraid by buying the NEX I already opened the potato chips bag... :rolleyes:

9. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    +1

For me, after trying the Manual Focus adapted legacy lens on the Nex, I don't think I will go back to AutoFocus anytime soon...

:D

10. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    It will really depend on what your needs are, Minolta Rokkors are in essence really goods lenses and it's really hard to go wrong with any of them especially with the asking price of these lenses nowadays give or take 2 or 3 expensive models. Have a look at Kevin's Rokkor archive as well as The Rokkor Files as they contain a wealth of info regarding Minolta Rokkor lenses.

I used to use rokkor lenses on my NEX as I used to have a good collection that was carried over from my film days, As per your query I find the 1.4 and the 1.7 are almost the same performance-wise with the 1.4 having a sliver more speed than the 1.7, however the 1.4 will usually come in MD / MC variants (this was sold as Rokkor-X in the states, but they are exactly the same as their Rokkor counterparts sold in Japan) the 1.7 also come in PG variants, what's the difference between the MD, MC, PG? the formulation used in the lens elements. Personally I found the 1.7 PG sharper than the 1.4 MD / MC wide open, what you lost in speed you get compensated in sharpness, though I will have to point out, the difference in sharpness is quite minimal.

If you are looking to use either lens as a standard lens or a macro lens, just be aware that the minimum focusing distance for these are .45 meters so you can't use it as a true macro lens with a 1:1 ratio of capture, and because of the sensor crop in the NEX the 50mm focal will turn to a 75mm, I find it to be a bit long and narrow as a standard lens, but if you are fine with that focal it should be no problem. I find the 50mm rokkors to be perfect for portraiture shots, some prefer a longer focal length for portraiture but the 75mm just does me fine. I ended up keeping the 1.4 and gave my 1.7 to one of our members Jebuskrust, as I don't really need a super sharp lens for portraits.

As for adapters, some people buy expensive adapters and swear by them, some advise against buying cheap adapters in the market, I bought the cheapest adapter I could find and it is still working to this day, so this will be a matter of preference but I can safely say it doesn't "have to be" a Novoflex adapter.

Happy hunting buddy.

11. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Thanks for this replay Phoenix.
    I made the decision to Minolta also for the retro aspect that Minolta = Sony.
    Also I took my fist pictures with an anlog Minolta that belonged my father, please don't even think about asking me about the camera model or the lenses I used ;-)

I think 50mm is a good decision and all Minolta lenses seem quite impressive.
    In a second step I thought about a macro lens, don't thought about using the Rokkor 50 as a macro lens.

I'm quite sure I will not notice the differences between a MC or a MD lens, due to image quality. I prefer having a lens in good condition, don't caring about if it's a MC/MD or a 1.4/1.7...

I will make the decision for the adapter beween the Novoflex (120 EUR) or a model from a company called Kiwifoto (40 EUR), both available via Amazon.de:
    Novoflex Objektivadapter Minolta SR - Sony E-bajonett: Amazon.de: Elektronik
    Objektivadapter zur Verwendung von Minolta MD: Amazon.de: Kamera & Foto

12. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Rokkors are terrific lenses and match up really well with the NEX. The 50/1.7 and 50/1.4 are both wonderful with the obvious advantages of the faster being shallow DOY, being a bit faster etc. The 50/1.7 is a bargain these days (bought my last one for about $20). Main differences between the MD and MC versions are supposedly better coatings on the MD version. I prefer the build qualm pity on the MC versions a bit better.

As to adapters...I would stick with the cheap Chinese made adapters vs the Novoflex. I like rainbowimaging adapter from eBay but they are all very similar. I like them because they are warehoused in NYC so delivery time is faster if you live in the U.S. I think all the Chinese made adapters are basically the same quality wise.

Freddy did a really nice write up on using adapted Rokkor 50's.

Addiction to 50mm Rokkor | The Adapted Rokkor

13. NickCyprus

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I had the same question regarding cheap Chinese-made adapters VS expensive ones and was convinced that a cheap one would probably be fine, so I opted for that and have zero complains so far...120euro for an adapter sounds like too much...

14. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Even 40€ is way too much !! Get a cheapo from China, they take about two weeks to arrive but they cost about 15€, tops. I can't even remember if I've listed my beautiful MD 50/1.7 metal version on the board, I'm letting it go cheap.

15. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Seem to be pretty lucky tonight...
    Got a Rokkor 50mm 1.4 of the MD 2nd generation (as far as I learned from Rokkor Files due to the green scala) in very good shape for a quite good price incl. shipment, the seller is just around the corner in Bavaria...
    I'm pretty happy with this buy and I hope that the condition is as good as described :)

@Nianys: Thanks for your offer, hope it's ok for you that I chose a seller near to my location!?!?

16. Grisu_HDH

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Got the 1.4 today and it's really in great condition and worth the money. First I cleaned it than tried my new Kiwifotos adapter and everything sits tight but safe... Can't wait to give the lens a try over the weekend...